SM Hunter

Assuming you don’t make any outré modifications to it, the standard Rhino is 115 mm L x 75 mm W x 50 mm H. The average Intercessor/Reiver/Hellblaster is about 45 mm tall... 

So you can shelter a demi-squad behind one without too much trouble (unless, obviously, the enemy has an elevated position).

Still, I’d much rather be able to my Primaris Marines inside the @&$#% thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ish said:

Still, I’d much rather be able to my Primaris Marines inside the @&$#% thing.

Why? The transport rules in 40k aren't really very kind to the embarked unit, especially when the embarked unit is expensive, multi-wound models.

If Primaris Marines could embark in rhinos, you still wouldn't be doing it because you'd be too busy complaining to GW that the rhino rules were terrible for your primaris marines.

Okay, okay, so you can't shoot out. Any aura abilities your characters have, cease to function (even for themselves). No psychic powers. And you can no longer disembark after moving the rhino. Did I mention you can't shoot out?

Then, if the opponent surrounds your rhino and then destroys it, your primaris marines all die.

If we blow up the rhino, 1/6 embarked models die (emergency disembark is *slain* on 1s, so it's really bad for multi-wound models).

We could try sometime, if you want to see. Put a 330pt 10-man hellblaster unit inside a 72pt rhino. You move turn 1, disembark turn 2+. The loss to shooting is substantial, you can't auspex scan my deep strikers with your hellblasters because they are inside the transport. You can't overwatch my charges with your spendy unit because you are inside the transport. The Rhino can't get out of combat if it's surrounded and the hellblasters can't disembark, because they are inside the transport. And even if you can get out of the cheap transport, I auto-kill at least 1x 33pt model as you disembark the destroyed transport.

The Repulsor solves this issue by having the FLY keyword and a penalty to enemy charges against it. Reivers can deepstrike 9" away.

Only logical reason for the rhinos on primaris marines is to avoid turn 1 alpha strike if you go second.

As much as I like the idea of terminators in Rhinos, the transport rules just suck for elite units in cheap transports. Drop pods, on the other hand, those would be great for primaris marines (and fluffy). But again, that's because they don't stay inside the transport.