Finally picked up the Directorate

Hmm...did some thinking regarding allies. I think that starter "patrol" fleet is selected with allies in mind. It does make more sense, as the models in my patrol set are pretty lacking from a Directorate stance, or rather, they aren't the models I'd suggest for new players wanting to see the strengths of the directorate.

That said, if I were looking to expand my Drindenzi or Relthoza (I don't have these, just example), all the models within that Directorate patrol set can be taken by those factions as allies. For units that don't convert well, my Directorate have access to a class of ship called Drones, which neither allied faction may take. Likewise, those Relthoza can take "shunt cruisers" which is a type of ship we don't have any access too, even as allies. Those drindenzi don't have access to anything special, but they do get more heavy cruisers as tier 2 in patrol level, and they have access to more of them them at battle and grand levels.

Anyway, with regards to allies, it's really tough to compare ships directly, as they are often specialized to a particular role unique to the faction. I can give an understanding of each faction's specialization within my alliance:

Directorate: Elite ships specialized in being average or better in all areas (lower turn limits, average stats, good weapon arcs and ranges, access to both shielded ships and cloaked ones). Cyberwarfare, torpedoes and turret beam weapons are our staples. Comparing these to space marines in terms of a forgiving faction would not be incorrect.

In terms of synergy, the Directorate present more flexible tanks for the other factions, as well as some of the few cyberwarfare options in this alliance.

Relthoza: Cloaked ships with lots of wings. For Staples, the systems network MAR, Shunt options, and awesome access to mines.

In terms of synergy, Relthoza present considerable access to cloaked ships, mines or wings. In particular, Relthoza have access to a frigate with a wing capacity (1 each), which means that, as allies, they can aid with many types of roles.

Drindrenzi: Impressive direct fire potential, highly focused to the fore arc. Staples are excessive numbers of fore weapons, ablative plating MAR, and common mine use. This army is very likely to spend much of the game at a full stop with a disturbing number of mines behind them. Faction completely lacks both cloaking devices and shields.

For synergy, they mostly provide direct fire support and nothing else. That said, this faction has very impressive in direct fire potential. It may be a viable tactic to include one of their units for the sole purpose of hiding in a gas cloud at full stop and maintaining a fire lane.

As for Zenian League, I really haven't explored them enough to be sure.

What is the minimum point value for games? My Kedorians do not have a whole lot of options at the moment. I have to combine both box sets to get to 800pts. It would be nice to learn at a smaller value if possible.

Recall that up to 1/4th of your points can be allies. So if you can get to 900pts of kedorians, you can get to 1200pts by adding a patrol fleet from another faction.

Order arrived, plus picked up more in store. At present, I've got this:

Directorate

2 Battleships

1 Carrier

2 Cruisers

4 Heavy Cruisers

4 Destroyers

8 Frigates

4 Drones

1 Large SRS token

1 Small SRS token

Relthoza

4 Nidus Frigates

On the [eventually] to buy list:

Drindrenzi Dreadnought

More SRS tokens for factions purchased

At that point, I'll be done for the 2k level of play, assuming I did my math right.

Before you ask, those nidus frigates are there because every fleet of the zenian league should include those. They are that amazing. They are 20pt frigates with a wing capacity of 1, making a 25pt frigate with a wing in a squadron of 4 of such frigates and wings for 100pts. The army support value of these is amazing, as it makes up for lacking PD anywhere I need it. I could also function with support shuttles, fighters or assault craft, depending on the needs of my army. A very flexible addition to my army.

So...Battle level list:

Directorate

tier 1

Battleship (Splitfire Turret, Bio-Hazard Beams, +1 Shield, +2 WC, 3 interceptors)

Battleship (Splitfire Turret, Bio-Hazard Beams, +1 Shield, +2 WC, 3 interceptors)

tier 2

Destroyers (2)

Destroyers (2)

Heavy Cruisers (2, Bio-Hazard Beams)

tier 3

Frigates (4, Bio-Hazard Beams)

Frigates (4, Bio-Hazard Beams)

Allied Relthoza Nidus Frigates (4, 4 interceptors)

Total: 1200pts.

As for painting them, been thinking that if they are corperate in theme, painting actual corperate logos on the models would make a lot of sense.

Got another game in. Left late, arrived late, unprepared and so forth. My list was basically all the new units I could cram into a single list:

Patrol (800pts)

tier 1

Battleship (shields, split fire)

Carrier (6 interceptors, fore cyber weapon)

tier 2

Destroyers (2)

Tier 3

Frigates (4, bio-hazard)

Drones (4)

Allied Relthoza Nidus Frigates (4, 4 interceptors)

Opponent was jermy with RSN and an illegal quanity of Ba'Kesh (more than allied allowance, neither player caught it until mid game).

Anyway, opponent clearly had a concise plan, I didn't. Bad deployment, bad rolling, and low synergy.

I did learn a few things. Carrier cyberwarfare fore is worthless without additional support from acompaniement R&D cruisers. Bio-hazard isn't very impressive if you can't damage them to begin with, probably not viable on frigates. Neither tier 1 were particularly useful at this point level and with those loadouts. Destroyers need to support something and are lacking as the only tier 2 ships fielded. Army needed to move as one, spread deployment just doesn't work well for this faction. Having more units at the start was impressive, given that I had a few activations more than my opponent at the start of the game.