Revisiting the Skyshield Landing Pad

Threejacks

Got one built and primed from about a year ago but have yet to use it due to rather unclear rules for it.I know,theres a 'few' GW models with problems like this.

However im considering adding it into my AM/SW list in a role its actually designed for, that being as a way to start a flyer on the table when the game begins,well that and to maybe give my Wyverns or Russ squadron some saves after the flyer launches off.

Was wondering if anyone has encountered its use in the past year and if there`s more clear rules interpretations regarding it now.

Now I know that in the turn the flyer takes off it has to hover but do I have to unfurl the pad to launch off or move units onto it?,don't see any rules on that but it seems to make sense especially for moving vehicles onto it.As far as moving onto and off of it im assuming its a Difficult terrain move that must allow at least 4" of distance as the drop is about 3.5 inches...and moving around on the pad itself is open terrain.

I also read that theres all sorts of problems with players "taking cover" with units under it as well but im not so interested in doing that crap.

Or should I just play Frisbee with my dog with it..

• Like 1

Now I know that in the turn the flyer takes off it has to hover but do I have to unfurl the pad to launch off or move units onto it?,don't see any rules on that but it seems to make sense especially for moving vehicles onto it.As far as moving onto and off of it im assuming its a Difficult terrain move that must allow at least 4" of distance as the drop is about 3.5 inches...and moving around on the pad itself is open terrain..

Okay, so you're confusing rules.

First, difficult terrain check to move on or off. Vehicles, treat difficult as dangerous, as normal.

Unfurled: locator beacon effect AND makes it open terrain for skimmers, jet pack, jump pack and jet bikes.

Furled: 4++ against shooting.

So if the sky shield is furled, it's dangerous terrain for your skimmer (hover mode flyers included) to move off. If you unfurl it, you lose the 4++ against shooting, but don't need the dangerous check to move off.

Furling/unfurling is done at the very start of the movement phase, specifically before reserves, so you could deploy it furled, unfurl it at the start of your turn, and hover off without taking a terrain check.

Thnx:)

I can see with the distance to move a vehicle over the top of the furled walls its not going to be feasible at 5" unless I did it at crusing speed which for Wyverns would mean no shooting for that turn,so ill have to plan to unfurl,launch the flyer then move onto it even though that would still leave the vehicle dangling on the edge for a turn while I complete my move into the center area of it.

At 80 points its kinda border line value..sure I can get a first turn volley from a Vendetta or guarantee not getting doinked by bad reserve rolls on a Stormwolf laden with Blood Claws(though I can take an officer of the fleet for that part) but for the points I can add another Wyvern and maybe 1-2 heavy weapons teams.

I gotta add two dangers with the skyshield.

First, if the opponent has a model in base contact with any part of the skyshield at the start of your movement phase, you can't furl/unfurl it.

Second, the locator beacon effect of DS units not scattering on the unfurled skyshield applies to both your army and the opponents.

So, in example, you deploy the flyer and the thing furled, you go second and the opponent lands a pod near enough to get a model to base contact with the skyshield before your turn starts, you can't unfurl it.

Likewise, if you deploy furled and then unfurl turn 1 to fly off, you leave that giant locator beacon exposed in your deployment zone...And if they do land a unit or two on the skyshield, it will likely be impossible to get it furled again until you completely eliminate the enemy presence.