Thinking about fortifications again

BrainFireBob

Two thoughts:

1) If you put an escape hatch within embarkation range of another building or vehicle, can they immediately embark during the same movement phase?

2) A firestorm redoubt with punisher cannons-can I pick targets?

1) no unit can disembark and embark in the same movement phase. That said, one unit can disembark in a vehicle, while a second unit embarks that same vehicle in the same movement phase. Likewise, a model's transport could disembark on the same turn that the model disembarks their transport (Thunderhawk transporters disembarking rhinos disembarking space marines).

2) closest valid target only.

Sad as it is, this is only the ITC ruling. GW still hasn't fixed it, so a cruel opponent could insist on closest target. This is because targets are selected prior to selecting weapons in 7th, so a battle cannon can target a flyer, it just auto misses without even a scatter attempt. This is likewise true for targets that are too close to allies to legally hit with blast weapons. I ask prior to every game at GG when I bring fortifications...

Other note is that fortification auto-fire must fire at the end of your shooting phase, in addition to having to target the nearest enemy. This can be nothing, but can also be annoying.

Oh, one other big change in 7th regarding building weapons that don't have to autofire, is that they clarified the battlements as not being part of the building. This means that only models embarked in the buildings can fire the buildings' weapons via manual fire. If you have no units embarked in the building, you're stuck with auto-fire only.

Went through those rules again last night. Interesting that the Primary Target rule effect is now that if a Firestorm Redoubt has Skyfire guns, it ignores the closest target in favor of the closest flyer or FMC.

So that brings up another specific question. The shooting player determines which order weapons are resolved in, yes?

So, if I have a FSR redoubt with two battlecannons and a quad gun, and I shoot at a FMC, and specify resolving the quad gun first *and* it forces landing, can the battlecannons then shoot the same FMC, which is now a legal target?

Went through those rules again last night. Interesting that the Primary Target rule effect is now that if a Firestorm Redoubt has Skyfire guns, it ignores the closest target in favor of the closest flyer or FMC.

So that brings up another specific question. The shooting player determines which order weapons are resolved in, yes?

So, if I have a FSR redoubt with two battlecannons and a quad gun, and I shoot at a FMC, and specify resolving the quad gun first *and* it forces landing, can the battlecannons then shoot the same FMC, which is now a legal target?

Yeah, you've got it mostly right.

Quad gun is manual fire only, so it must fire normally (quad gun purchased for FSR is mounted on the battlements, not the building, different in 7th). The two battle cannons are automated fire only, so they must fire after all normal shooting is resolved. The order of shooting automated fire weapons is up to the player, as far as I know.

The FSR rule regarding skyfire only applies to autofire weapons on the building with the skyfire rule. So, really, it just applies to those quad icarus weapons.

One point which I've been a bit unclear on: I've been resolving automated fire per weapon for the FSR, rather than per building. Highly unclear if wrong. It matters with regards to determining the nearest target and for being able to fire at multiple enemies. Basically, I measure closest to one building weapon. Target. Resolve shooting. Choose next building weapon. measure closest. target. resolve shooting. Their interpretation is that we measure closest to the building, then resolve all shooting at the same target. Not sure which is right.

It is the other way. Per pp112: if purchased as an upgrade and added to the battlements, it becomes an emplaced weapon. Means automated fire on the quad gun.

Well, you are correct on that point. Missed that one.

A bit confusing as on that same page, it clarifies the battlements as a separate terrain feature from the building.

Your second point is my question: do all building weapons shoot at the same target? If so, Primary target on the quad gun, if it makes a FMC land, would seem to let you paste it with the battlecannons

Grounding tests are done at the end of the phase in this edition, so won't be able to ground with one weapon then fire at the grounded target in the same phase.

You could intercept in the opponent's movement phase, cause grounding in that phase, then target with your battlecannons in your own shooting phase.

Beyond that, still totally unclear regarding automated fire and target restrictions. I know that if you have a unit embarked, they are subject to normal shooting limitations with manual fire. As far as I know, this means that the embarked unit must fire all manual fire weapons (and there own fire point shooting) at the same target.