Rules Question: terrain height and model placement

McNathanson

Hey folks,

We keep running into clunky issues where a base won't fit entirely on one elevation or another.  After looking at a wide variety of scenarios, and considering the implications (especially regarding base-to-base contact) we are leaning toward counting a model as being "on" more than one height of terrain at a time, so long as the difference is no more than ht1.  So for example a model climbing stairs is placed on a ht2 stair tread, with its base overhanging onto a ht1 tread.  The center of the base is on the ht2 tread.  In this case, we are counting the model as being "at" ht2 (meaning e.g. if it is a ht2 model, then its total ht is ht4).  But we are also considering its part of the base hanging off to be on the ht1 tread, so that a model on the ht1 tread can still count as base-to-base, LoS can be drawn to the part of its base on the ht1 tread, etc.

The alternatives are also imperfect (and so far, we think, worse) for a variety of reasons I don't want to go into because of time... but if you have encountered similar clunkiness, what do YOU do (especially looking at you Mach5!)  Consider stuff like a 30mm square crate with a 50mm model standing on it.  Or a 40mm wide ramp and a 50mm model wanting to climb it.  Or a 40mm wide ramp and a model wanting to push onto it from a slight angle.  Etc.

Thanks,
Nathan

I've never really used stairs, so the issue hasn't come up for me. I'd happily play it any way that sounds reasonable. Stuff like 40mm wide ramps being accessed by 50mm wide models should be discussed at the start of the game, and again I'd have no preference but would obviously take it into account when planning out my moves for any 50mm base dudes. IMO you can't be in base contact with a 50mm based model standing on a 30mm crate.

Yeah let's not worry about stairs for now... how do you manage a 50mm model standing on a 30mm crate?  Do you just use the center of the base to determine where the model is, and ignore the rest?  If the crate is ht3, does he fall if his center is pushed off the edge?  

What about two 30mm models on a 50mm cylinder/barrel?  They can't both have their centers on it, but they can have a lot of their base on it and both be touching each other per the FAQ... can they be in base-to-base?

Not trying to be a pain, but this stuff always comes up!  Already has, lots of times, in our games :)

Also while I'm at it: do you allow models to go through doorways if their bases cannot fit?  The plastcraft terrain buildings I have use doorways that are about 35mm wide, so that only 30mm models can fit through.  We have been disallowing 40mm+ models from using the doorways, but that looks pretty funny on a Steam Arachnid Swarm not being able to enter the building, while Johan can :)

I don't now how this stuff always comes up for you.. It never has for me. Stop trying to stand two models on a small box! Problem solved. ;)

Again, discuss before the game. Perhaps 40mm bases can't fit through the door, but models that are Ht1 can fit regardless of base size. I don't think there's a right or wrong answer.

The alternatives are also imperfect (and so far, we think, worse) for a variety of reasons I don't want to go into because of time... but if you have encountered similar clunkiness, what do YOU do (especially looking at you Mach5!)  Consider stuff like a 30mm square crate with a 50mm model standing on it.  Or a 40mm wide ramp and a 50mm model wanting to climb it.  Or a 40mm wide ramp and a model wanting to push onto it from a slight angle.  Etc.

Let's see, recent game my Ht4 50mm model with flight, charged my opponent's ht3 50mm model that was hiding behind some small Ht1 crates. I simply placed the 50mm base so it was on all of the crates and in "base" contact (horizontally base to base), as if crushing the crates beneath it's feet. No complaints from my opponent.

For the record, my model was Rail Golem given flight by Kaeris' Grab and drop.

Paxmiles, what you describe is effectively the "house rule" we are trying out, which is that models can count as having their bases on two different heights, with no more than 1" difference, for purposes of base-to-base contact.  However the FAQ states they must literally be physically touching, which I think is a short-sighted FAQ answer.  If they just said they have to be aligned edge-to-edge (as if they were touching), but can but up to 1" in ht difference, and still count, that would have fixed it.  As it is you can end up with really funky situations based on this FAQ.  I know, a seemingly small matter, but it can change a game dramatically!