Wording issue

Sworn Guardians: Saurus Guard were created to protect their masters. If this unit is within 8" of any Seraphon Heroes, add 2 to its bravery and 1 to the results of any save rolls for it.

Ok so I'm reading conflictingredients things online. One of the words is 'its'. Does that mean the guard give the hero 2 bravery or does it give the guard 2 bravery? I'm thinking it's given to the hero.

Next conflict is save rolls. Again, reading online I think people are confused. When you add 1 to the result of the save roll that just means add 1 to sayou if I roll a 3? Right? Or does it modify the save itself like I'm reading?

Odd one.

I'm pretty sure the intention is that Saurus Guard gain both while within 8" of a SERAPHON HERO for three reasons.

First, many armies have similar rules, which grant bonuses to the core troops for the presence of a certain faction's hero.

Second, it would be easier to write SERAPHON HEROES gain +2 bravery and +1 on saves while within 8" of this unit. GW's been mostly solid with writing rules for AoS, barring a few typos.

Third, there is not a note regarding if it stacks or not. Given the wording, if it only applies to the Sarus Guard, it won't never stack, so that wording wouldn't be needed. Instead, if we interpret it to apply to heroes, then it would be reasonable to conclude that the effect would stack with multiple sarus guard units, so GW would most certainly include a note to this effect (either to limit or just comment that it does stack).

Anyway, that's my reasoning, I don't play Seraphon, so it's only a suggested understanding.

That's because your not changing the save your changing the number you rolled. IE their save is still only 4+ but if you roll a 3 you add 1 to the roll making it 4.

the end result is same but can make a diff with something.

example:

Stormcast retributors do 2 mortal wounds if their to hit roll is a 6 or more, but if say for some reason the have a -1 to their to hit roll. They can't roll a 6.

but if they have a +1 to the roll they do mortal wounds on a roll of 5 or 6.

So modifiers effect the number rolled not the stat.

And just if wondering as for say rerolls you reroll before you add modifiers

Stormcast retributors do 2 mortal wounds if their to hit roll is a 6 or more, but if say for some reason the have a -1 to their to hit roll. They can't roll a 6.

Likewise, many of the Warriors of Chaos have "Chaos Runeshields" which ignore wounds and mortal wounds on a 5 or 6. Since it doesn't specify the "or more" it means that only on exactly a 5 or a 6 will I benefit. Rolling a 7 wouldn't ignore wounds.

Ahh ok. That's how I read it too. I thought the entirety of lustria-online.come was wrong but it makes some sense now. The ability that TG have add +1 to the save roll then if in the formation can add another +1 bringing so on a roll of 2+ they would be fine.

Main issue is that the ability is somewhat against the fluff, as having better saves and bravery will just mean the opponents are more likely to target the heroes first...