AoS tues 1/12 at WoW

We played the Adepticon championship Primer scenario and had a lot of fun with it even though I just noticed this morning that we didn't quite play it correctly,lol.

The scenario uses 3 objective markers and a diagonal deployment line much like "Vanguard Strike" does in 40k.The objective markers are basically placed with one dead center in the table and the other 2 placed to either side of the one in the center,22" away from the center one but on the diagonal line that separates the board halves.The scenario doesn't designate any deployement distance so we just chose to do it like we would in 40k and be 12" from the center line.

Now in order to win,players needed to have a model with the Hero keyword within 5" of any of the objective markers at the end of a battleround,,they can score one point for each objective,each battleround with the game ending after 5 battle rounds have been fought.Players also score one point for killing an opponents hero model and and additional one point if the hero was their army general.There is also secondary and tertiary objectives but we didn't use those as they seem more designed to accumulate points during event/tournament play.

With each army limited to only 3 hero warscrolls this actually made for a very interesting and challenging game,but I do want to try this one a few more times at least as I screwed up on my army composition and actually had 5 heros( the Green Knight is not listed on his WS as a hero but is listed so in SDK,Also I didn't count the Prime as a hero that could cap an objective due to his lighting strike ability) and used a formation when theres no formations allowed.I used the Wardens of the realmgate formation that allows me to make a roll in the hero phase with a 4+ allowing a new stomcast unit to be brought in through the realmate,,,though since neither us of was doing any summoning I didn't use this ability.Although Steel Angel made crafty use of my own realmgate by teleporting one of his Prosecutors through it to escape my forces,lol.....I always thought I needed to have 2 realmgates on the board to be able to port between them,heh

The rule that I missed in all this was that ONLY hero warscrolls were allowed within 5" of each objective...we were charging and moving all models within 5" and yet still had a really good game for being a first one.The more I think about it the more I don't like the rule that only heros can get within 5" as that would certainly favor a more shooty army...hell a player could just take a flying hero on first turn,plop on top of an objective and the only way he could be removed would be shooting or an opponents hero charging him.Not a fan of any sort of immunity in these games,,,its a breeding ground for filth.Sheese if I wanted to play a "shoot each other off the board miniatures game" I`d load up the 40k and head out for a game.

Another thing that wasn't covered in the scenario rules is if the turns are supposed to alternate or do random roll each turn.We used random rolls each turn..Steel Angel went first but I stole initiative on turn 2 and we continued to alternate back and forth till the end of turn 4 when we called it.Now at first this seemed like a big deal however,when I stole intiative in turn 2 it actually came back to hurt me as Steel Angel already scored a point on the west end objective with his Venator,I was able to shoot His Venetor down during that turn and moved my Venator into scoring postion.But because I went first he responded by charging my Venator with his Treeman and wiping him out.Now if I would have gone second I could have jumped over to the objective and scored it as the points per round are accumulated at the end of each BR not each player turn.So in this particular scenario,you don't really always want to go first in a turn.

Overall we felt that game was like a really good session of 40k, with a bit of everying..some shooting,some Deep striking,some good melee`s.Probably one of the tightest games of AoS ive played to date:)

So there then missing some rules and disliking some of the battleplans stuff how did you like the comp?

Its not bad..certainly geared more toward a competitive setting and that's ok.I don't care for not allowing any formations.And we didn't do any summoning so im not sure how restrictive only allowing one successful summons per turn would be,,,though from my experience with undead its not that unusual to only get one per turn anyway.

Max save of 1+ and no more than one cast of Mystic shield on a unit are good things,,probably something to have as a house rule:)

Also always counting a natural "1 as being a failure should be house ruled as well.

Base to base measurement is certainly fine but players should still have an option if they both agree to it.

Overall though I would say its on par with other comp systems and their slot restrictions.

Would that work for us? 1800, 0-3 heroes, 2 monsters, 2 wizards?

Should work fine for a more competitive setting.And I should note that in this comp system Pink Horrors are just treated as any other unit as theres no restriction on non hero wizard units.

I would still like to play some less restrictive,more "vanilla" kind of games using a Battle plans and perhaps just a cap of 2000 SDK with much more loose slot restrictions like max of 5 heros/wizards,3 monsters and 3 or 4 Warmachines..something that would allow formations to be used.This would probably be something that we could use in a series of battle plans,,kind of a campaign type of event.

As much as it would be great to have just one format for AoS,its pretty clear that there will likely be a settled on "competitive format" and a more casual format...perhaps even a "free style" kind of play.

Max save of 1+ and no more than one cast of Mystic shield on a unit are good things,,probably something to have as a house rule:)

Been thinking on this one since I saw it in the comp.

First, RAW, wizard units normally must cast different spells each turn, so the same wizard isn't able to duplicate mystic shield (regardless of target). So multiple wizards would be required to stack mystic shield.

Second, combining castings of mystic shield on a single unit means that I'm not casting other spells to aid my army. With their comp system limiting summoning, I suppose mystic shield is more practical. I question how often this would be viable if allowing normal summoning.

Third, Mystic Shield merely adds to armor save, with mortal wounds being able to cut though without issue. An improved armor save is certainly helpful, but if I'm dedicating 3+ wizards to give a single unit a 1+ or better save, it just makes it that much more likely that my opponent targets the unit with mortal wound weapons (common enough). Especially when already having a houserule that makes 1s always fail, I don't think it has any value.

I'm really curious about what issues they were having with mystic shield prior to this house rule. Doesn't seem like normal circumstances would need such a redundant set of house rules (wizard cap, auto-fail 1s, and unable to stack mystic shield).

To start with I can imagine a Hero sitting on an objective and only other Hero`s or ranged attacks can hurt him,scoring it every battle round and having a 0+ or better save due to terrain,shields and what not.

They'd have to stay within 18" of a handful of friendly wizards to maintain it. They'd basically be transforming their wizards into bonus wounds for their Hero.

Doesn't really seem broken. Yeah, an annoying tactic, but not broken or unbalanced. Basically, any anti-summoner unit you already have would also be a great anti-shield unit.

Yeah but hero can be a lot of things. Like a verminlord lol or spider with shaman

I get that.

Okay, cheapest verminlord (Corruptor) is 259pts. He's a wizard, so he can cast on himself. Standing in cover and shielded by himself, he's got a 2+ save.

Now I add two skaven Warlock engineers which are the cheapest skaven wizards, at 76pts each.

So now with my 411pts, 3 warscrolls, and 22 wounds, I have a single model with a 0+ save. Meanwhile, those skaven warlocks have a 5+ save (4+ if also in cover). Of the mentioned wizards, only the Verminlord Corruptor is able to cast a second spell per turn, so my 411pt "formation" is only able to cast a single non-shield spell per turn.

Turn 1 or 2. you come in a butcher the skaven warlocks. Not exactly a feat to accomplish. 10 wounds are in there. Then either you attack the Verminlord with mortal wound weapons, -3 rend weapons, or you just wait until the start of my next hero phase when the mystic shields disappear and I'm left with a normal save on my Verminlord.

By comparison, this is near identical to how you would defeat a slann with two Eternity Wardens....