Throne of Skulls 2016 review

https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/throne-of-skulls-rotwater-blight/

Great write up about it by regular Dakka poster MongooseMatt,he attends events there regularly.

This event was done along the lines of the other Warhammer World events in that there really isnt any composition at all and players were told to just bring 60 or so models and work out with their opponent what they believe will be a good game.

Scoring was still in place for wins/ties/losses but the ultimate winner was determined by "best opponent votes" with ties being broken using the scoring system.Age of Sigmar being played as intended?

With how AoS was received in the mini gaming community as a whole,how do you all think this type of event would fare in our area?.Is it even viable,would it have many attendees?

Any comments on how this event was scored would be greatly appreciated:)

I'm curious if we could get the game to work with just the GW rules. I've certainly never tried RAW, we always use an alternate comp system.

Indeed we can:)

Though the only thing I would suggest is to be sure and play an actual battleplan instead of the very basic "battle line" type of scenario that the RaW have in its 4 pages,,,that can easily end up being either a stomp or a long drawn out grind.

Actually,the next GG game night lets do this.Ill just bring what I want to have available to deploy along with any other stuff that may make it into the game through "fate" .Ill also bring all the battleplans that I have,,which I think is all but a couple of the ones that have been released,Ill made a quick list and assign die roll results to them so we can randomly determine which one to use.

Also some battle plans require players to know what their armies will be before starting actual deployment...best way to determine this I think is to stage out units first by basically each player taking turns "rallying" their warscrolls by placing them out and assigning them to their army.Then alternate unit deployment can take place.

Im intrigued by what GW is doing with the AoS type of gameplay.The first games we were playing was just as it is in the brb with us just setting a warscroll limit,the games were very fun with many being closer than they seemed they would be at the start.Of course with this system it is very easily broken by those with Hero and or Monster spam or infinite summoning(though I believe with RAW slain models shouldn't be able to be resummoned),but it certainly wouldn't be the first game system that can easily be broken.

Now take this base system and use it in an event format were the winner of the event is the player that ended up with the most best opponent votes and all of a sudden a lot of problems with the "no points" game that AoS is are solved.Sure a player can bring 50 Hero and Monster warscrolls with which to pound face with,but how many votes do you think that player will get?.The flip side of this would be a player that throws down an extremely weak list,giving up easy wins to their opponents,,that may get a few more votes but really,I think players want to have a decent challenge in their game play too.

Obviously the goal here is to have a good time and play what would be considered a "good game".It doesn't have to be a real close game,just a game that players felt was challenging and rewarding.

Indeed we can:)

Though the only thing I would suggest is to be sure and play an actual battleplan instead of the very basic "battle line" type of scenario that the RaW have in its 4 pages,,,that can easily end up being either a stomp or a long drawn out grind.

Actually,the next GG game night lets do this.Ill just bring what I want to have available to deploy along with any other stuff that may make it into the game through "fate" .Ill also bring all the battleplans that I have,,which I think is all but a couple of the ones that have been released,Ill made a quick list and assign die roll results to them so we can randomly determine which one to use.

Also some battle plans require players to know what their armies will be before starting actual deployment...best way to determine this I think is to stage out units first by basically each player taking turns "rallying" their warscrolls by placing them out and assigning them to their army.Then alternate unit deployment can take place.

Im intrigued by what GW is doing with the AoS type of gameplay.The first games we were playing was just as it is in the brb with us just setting a warscroll limit,the games were very fun with many being closer than they seemed they would be at the start.Of course with this system it is very easily broken by those with Hero and or Monster spam or infinite summoning(though I believe with RAW slain models shouldn't be able to be resummoned),but it certainly wouldn't be the first game system that can easily be broken.

Now take this base system and use it in an event format were the winner of the event is the player that ended up with the most best opponent votes and all of a sudden a lot of problems with the "no points" game that AoS is are solved.Sure a player can bring 50 Hero and Monster warscrolls with which to pound face with,but how many votes do you think that player will get?.The flip side of this would be a player that throws down an extremely weak list,giving up easy wins to their opponents,,that may get a few more votes but really,I think players want to have a decent challenge in their game play too.

Obviously the goal here is to have a good time and play what would be considered a "good game".It doesn't have to be a real close game,just a game that players felt was challenging and rewarding.

Two things.

First, I think both players knowing the battleplan ahead of time is a must for this style of playing.

Second, I wonder if we could balance the game in homebrewed battle plans (or terrain set up), rather than in rules.

Eh I don't know. Setting a model limit might work. But then again 50 models of ogres isn't equal to 50 models of anything else.

I like the original warscroll limit

By no means am I suggesting a forced format (or forced lack of format).

Could always do what 40k does. Roll for random battleplans unless it's a fixed event of some kind

A week ahead of time would be fun. Not really a fan of the on-the-spot missions for fantasy battles, as I think it takes away from the fluff of a fantasy setting. In a fantasy setting, a war requires planning. An army should be designed around the encounter.