Using Terrain in games

Been collecting up the terrain pieces for AoS lately and have gotten all of the new release pieces,still working on getting the old pieces that they made warscrolls for.Crafting up an Arcane ruins right now,would love to have a Skullvane Manse piece.

Anyhow what my son and I have been doing in order to have the ability to use a piece of our choice in game is to allow each of us to choose one from our collection along with the models for your armies.Then after terrain setup is complete and board deployment zones are chosen,we get to place our chosen pieces of terrain along with our first unit deployed.This has worked out pretty well:)

Now of course if someone wants to place an entire Dreadhold this wouldn't work as that's several pieces,,those should be setup using the guidelines for the Warscroll battalions that the various pieces use.This usually consists of counting as a terrain piece in each 2x2 square that it occupies.With terrain not being comped this could lead to some issues with some Battleplans but as far as I can tell,the rules from the Dreadhold terrain Battalion scrolls dictate that the fortress pieces are set up when laying out terrain and thus before deployment zones are rolled for..so RAW could result in the person that brought the Fortress not being able to deploy in it.There are the Battleplans that are specific to the Dreadhold though and that's probably the best use of it for now until it can get more attention from the fan comps.

If you haven't looked over the various terrain feature warscrolls,I recommend checking them out.Theres stuff like wizards being able to summon Units while being within range of them.Or the Towers that add a +1 to initiative if your General is occupying them.

Then of course the Realmgates that allow any unit with all its models within 6" to teleport(dangerously though,models get lost on a 1) onto any board edge or to another realmgate,very handy.!