[1k, 2.5k] Prelim Stormcast lists

I haven't delved too far into this yet, but I was hoping for some feed back on my two lists.  I haven't decided on any artefacts or army traits yet.  If anyone has any suggestions on those let me know!

1020 pt:

Lord Celestant on Dracoth - 220, Leader (General)

Lord Relictor - 80, Leader

Knight-Venator - 120, Leader

5 x Liberators - 100, Battleline

3 x Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers - 100

5 x Retributors - 220

Thunderhead Brotherhood - 80, Battalion

This is a pretty basic force that I've mainly chosen because its relatively easy to achieve (I have almost all the models). I like Judicators quite a bit, but decided the mobility of the Thunderhead Brotherhood to be more important and I make up for the loss of range with the Venator which I have a soft spot for.  30" range is hard to pass up haha.

2500 pt:

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth - 220, Leader (General)

Lord-Relictor - 80, Leader

Lord-Castellant - 100, Leader

Knight-Vexillor - 200, Leader (Pennant of the Stormbringer)

Knight-Vexillor - 200, Leader (Pennant of the Stormbringer)

5 x Judicators - 160, Battleline

5 x Protectors or Decimators - 200

5 x Retributors - 220

5 x Retributors - 220

6 x Prosecutors with Celestial Hammers - 200

Hammerstrike Force - 120, Battalion

The idea here is to have a solid standard battleline of Liberators with Judicators supporting, with the Lord-Celestant riding up the center.  The Relictor and Castellant protect the general (to keep his command ability alive) while the Knight-Venator lends his superior firepower to the Judicators.  The second part of the army is the Vexillors, Prosecutors and paladins which form a highly mobile deep strike killing machine.  With the Hammer Strike force the Prosecutors can get the Retributors where they need to be very fast (with a to wound bonus as well).  Their numbers are bolstered to make sure they get where I want them before dying.  The Vexillors can serve multiple purposes.  First, to get the Protectors (or Decimators, they are the same cost so they are interchangable) into ideal combats easily.  Second, to possibly just deep strike the Prosecutors which can subsequently deep strike the Retributors in the same turn.  Or alternatively, after the Retributors have landed, transfer them to another part of the battlefield once they have done their job.

Thoughts?  Would love any feedback.  :biggrin:

• Like 1

I started a list with the Stardrake in it originally, but at 2500 I found it tough to get the Stardrake and Dracoth riders in while still doing what I wanted to do with this force.  I'd probably develop a different list for the Stardrake.  The problem with the Lord-Celestant on Stardrake is that he works well with the rest of the Extremis, but not really the regular Stormcast.  The Dracoth riding celestant's no battleshock ability is extremely good in this force which includes a lot of units of 5.  I could possibly take a Drakesworn Templar and keep the dracoth riding lord celestant as the general, but at that point its essentially a different army.

The Protectors are there to handle monsters, although I was thinking of dropping a Vexillor, increasing the Protectors to a unit of 10, and making the Vexillor's only responsibility getting the Protectors into nasty monster's faces.  Or dropping the Relictor and Venator for the 5 extra Protectors, they aren't essential anyway.  Not sure. 

The point of this 2.5k force is to hit hard and fast with deep strikes, hopefully knocking out particularly big nasty targets before they get a chance to do too much in the game.

I built my Stardrake as a Templar,,as you said the Celestant riding Stardrake is not really as good as the Drokoth riding ones,heh.

My experience with Paladins matching up against monsters has not been bad but often times ends up with them just tying up the monster for 3 or so turns then getting whittled down.They can certainly tie them up though.

Ive had solid results with the Stardrakes Rain of Stars ability.Having something that targets d6 units anywere on the board every turn with a 50% chance at d3 morts is very nice.I have focused casters down with it,or focused on a troublesome monster or unit and dented them up over 3 turns with it.

The Dracothian Knights are a bit more situational and though they are tough to kill,they really dont put out a ton of damage and with the new points,they are kinda spendy.

The Prime more often then not wrecks units,heros and even monsters when it comes in and with his point cost,I will probably be trying to fit him in my lists.But not likely in a 1k list of course.

It would be pretty easy to hack out the Relictor, Castellent, Venator, and a Vexillor to make room for the Templar.  That could work.  It would make for a different army without much in the way of support heroes, but hopefully the mortal wound output and the presence of a big dragon on the board would make up for it.  One Vexillor will reduce flexibility, but that could be just fine.

The Stardrakes standard attacks don't really seem all that great.  It's mortal wound output is what makes it good.

• Like 1

It would be pretty easy to hack out the Relictor, Castellent, Venator, and a Vexillor to make room for the Templar.  That could work.  It would make for a different army without much in the way of support heroes, but hopefully the mortal wound output and the presence of a big dragon on the board would make up for it.  One Vexillor will reduce flexibility, but that could be just fine.

The Stardrakes standard attacks don't really seem all that great.  It's mortal wound output is what makes it good.

Its something to try,,though im going on past games using either fan comp or just open play.The new match play system could be very different with its victory conditions.

The mathhammer on the ability works out to an average of 21 mortal wounds dealt over a 6 turn game,with and average of 6 dealt to the same target chosen each of those 6 turns.Cant remember if the Match play is 5 turn games or not..I rem reading that somewere.

2.5k List Extremis Version

Wanted to see if I could fit in the Lord-Celestant on Stardrake and a few Dracothian Guard to take advantage of his Command Ability.  I still wanted to keep the spirit of what I did before, but it definitely has a little less flexibility in terms of deep strikes and multiple paladin types.  I like it though.

Lord-Celestant on Stardrake - 600, Leader, Behemoth

Knight-Vexillor - 200, Leader (Pennant of the Stormbringer)

2 x Fulminators - 240

2 x Concussors - 280

5 x Retributors - 220

5 x Retributors - 220

Hammerstrike Force - 120, Battalion

The Stardrake and his squad of Guard would be front and center with flanks protected by the battleline units.  Vexillor would deep strike the Prosecutors which would deep strike the Retributors in the same turn to clear out nasty targets or strike vulnerable enemy flanks.  Fulminators are definitely my favorite of the Guard haha, but the rely on the charge whereas Concussors always crush.

Once the charge is over the Concussors are more damage producing and can stun whole units preventing them from piling in.  I don't see any benefit to taking more Fulminators, If anything I think I would trade them out for Concussors.  Unless of course I was taking a Heraldor, then I would possible take one big group of 4 Fulminators.

Okay utilizing the Warrior Brotherhood.  It definitely seems like a great battalion.  To make it a 2k point list I added a Venator and a unit of Protectors.  The Venator can stay a long ways from the action and deal lots of damage and the Protectors will be called into action by the Knight-Vexillor.

Lord-Celestant on Dracoth - 220, Leader

Knight-Vexillor - 200, Leader

5 x Retributors - 220

5 x Retributors - 220

Warrior Brotherhood - 140, Battalion

5 x Protectors - 200

Total: 2040 (its not possible to fit it into 1k points)

The bravery bonus will help when the Lord-Celestant dies or for units that have to be placed a distance away.  The To wound bonus (1 rerolls) is always helpful.  Keeping each unit within 8' of TWO other units may be challenge.  Will probably be able to a semi-circle around the enemy force, probably not a full encircling.  

I like this whole list building thing.  Starting from a battalion and working out really works well.  

• Like 1