Thursdays gameplay at Guardian Games - 2018

barca

FEB 1, apophis93 and I did Fow v4 using Hasty attack mission, 100 pts

British Tank (Grants and Honeys) and Motor Rifle vs German/DAK Africa Rifle with guns

result was inconclusive.

I compared the victory conditions for the same mission in Team Yankee missions PDF vs. Fow Missions PDF

They are DIFFERENT:

• FoW MoreMissions.pdf : WINNING THE GAME A player wins if they start their turn Holding one of the Objectives on the opponent’s side of the table.
  • Team_Yankee_Expanded_Missions.pdf: WINNING THE GAME : 1) A player wins if they start a turn Holding one of the Objectives on the opponent’s side of the table. 2) Otherwise, if neither player is Holding one of the Objectives on the opponent’s side of the table at the end of the game, the Defender wins.

I will go back and check the FoW mission cards and see what is there for Hasty Attack.

Lessons learned:

1. A centrally located Force/Formation commander is critical for morale.
  2. Planes with only machine guns can pin but not kill dug-in troops
  3. Two Tank Hunter gun platoons - well placed - provide an excellent anti-tank defense.
  4. Guns need an infantry screen to slow down assaults from tanks.
  5. The Bombardment firepower on your artillery lets you know what effects you can expect from your artillery: pin or kill.
  6. Tanks can successfully assault AT gun posiitons, but it requires concentration of force and effective use of combined arms - as expected.

On 2/2/2018 at 3:14 PM, barca said:

I compared the victory conditions for the same mission in Team Yankee missions PDF vs. Fow Missions PDF

They are DIFFERENT:

• FoW MoreMissions.pdf : WINNING THE GAME A player wins if they start their turn Holding one of the Objectives on the opponent’s side of the table.
  • Team_Yankee_Expanded_Missions.pdf: WINNING THE GAME : 1) A player wins if they start a turn Holding one of the Objectives on the opponent’s side of the table. 2) Otherwise, if neither player is Holding one of the Objectives on the opponent’s side of the table at the end of the game, the Defender wins.

I will go back and check the FoW mission cards and see what is there for Hasty Attack.

FoW mission Card for this mission matched the FoW Missions PDF: WINNING THE GAME A player wins if they start their turn Holding one of the Objectives on the opponent’s side of the table.

I prefer the TY victory conditions for this mission, but since I steer our group away from "House Rules", we will adhere to the Mission Card and PDF file for FoW.

My personal advice is to only use this mission by mutual agreement, when players assess that their forces have a reasonable chance of seizing the objective on the opposite side of the table.

In the battle I fought against apophis93, that opportunity would only have been feasible for my army AFTER my Delayed Reserves arrived on the table.

I will be bringing the following on THU, 8 FEB:

• Team Yankee Soviet Tank Battalion
  • Team Yankee US Armored Combat Team
  • FoW North Africa German Africa Rifles
  • FoW North Africa German Panzer III Company
  • FoW North Africa British Tank force: Crusaders and Grants
  • FoW North Africa US Armored Formation; Shermans, Stuarts and  M10s
  • TANKS! , the skirmish game

We are staring the MAR campaign on THURSDAY, MAR 1, for Flames of War v4, in the desert.

I am a bit behind on the blog, due to work being hectic.

I will bring hard copies of battles 1 & 2 to the regular Thursday gaming nite on 1 MAR @ GG.

For the MAR campaign, I will catch up the blog and update the forum this weekend (MAR 3-4).