Star trek attack wing

Month 6 of the "dominion war" scenario comes to a close on Mar 15, Sat, at 1pm.

Each participant will get a free prize, which this time is a "federation fighter squadron" which is a cool new mechanic and ship you canNOT but in stores.

Signup online at www.wizkidseventsystem.com or at the "Portland Attack Wing Captains" facebook group.

There will be a "Borg" scenario starting this summer and two "original series" scenarios in April and May most likely.  All offer free prizes.

Having not played attack wing, but well versed in X-wing I'm curious a to the ships.  What are the hull point/sheild rating avereges? I'm not looking for ubermath, just a rough idea compared to X-wing.

Thats one of the bigger knocks that the local group (who play alot of wings of war) throw is that an xwing or tie can be hulled in one attack. I would imagine with such "larger" scale ships that the hull/shields should be a bit higher allowing for single player-single ship games.

AW ships have plenty of hull and shields, but plenty of attack dice too.  The big difference is all the special abilities granted from upgrades.  Stacking them easily gives a player the power they need to one-shot ships - 8 or 9 dice is not unheard of.  IMO, a X-wing combat involves less dice, and more of a balance of attack dice vs defense dice, so the results are more unpredictable.  AW attacks are more predictable in smashing a ship, so high captain initiative is Critical: shoot first, focus fire on weak ship, kill it before it gets to fire.

AW games I have played/seen are always 2-3 ships per side.  I think 1 ship vs 1 ship would be fairly boring, and would be a predictable victory for the ship with the better initiative.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an experienced player and referee at many events.  eblingus offers a fair, although incomplete and not entirely accurate assessment of the game.  A well-upgraded larger ship is capable of destroying a smaller ship in a single attack.  Fair enough.  Two ships of equal power will not be able "one shot" each other without some sort of lucky trickery which is not commonplace.  It's true STAW battles are usually 2 or 3 ships on a side. 

In STAW tournaments more games go the 60-minute duration while trading shots and end closely (or end in a tie) THAN end after 10 minutes because one player got shot off the map in a round or two.

But what he doesn't mention is the plethora of damage cancellation and avoidance cards as upgrades too, which brings the game a richness that goes beyond Captain Skill and "who shot first".   Additionaly the number of Factions (Federation, Klingon, Romulan, etc) is huge so comparitavely there are more options in STAW than XWing.  I like both games but I feel like STAW has more strategy and complexity to it and favor it.   What XWing DOES have is better models, but WizKids in improving.  In "wave 3" out this month, the paint jobs are vastly improved over earlier ships.

• Like 1