Hello, Fantasy, it's been a while... Lizardmen 2.5k

Wow thanks for the in-depth reply! Very useful stuff in there. I've been ruminating on that battle quite a bit for nearly a week. It's frustrating to feel in control of a battle and yet see it slip away inexplicably at the very end.

I realize I did make a few mistakes, despite my strong opening turns, that ended up having fairly severe consequences.

1. I used 2 units of skinks to screen my blocks. While this isn't a bad idea in general, I knew he was gonna put all his fast cav on the flanks, so I didn't really need counter-chaff in the center. I should've intentionally left them open to invite a charge from his BG and CO knights. Either of my blocks should've handle either of their units so there's no real reason to waste time trying to harass them with skinks.

2. I mis-managed my magic phase pretty severely I think. I swapped Soul Quench for Searing Doom turn 1 to handle his knights but Soul Quench would've been fantastic throughout the game to whittle down his shooting units. Basically, I wasted dice trying to put big spells on threats I could probably handle. MSU requires MSS (multiple small spells).

3. I mis-handled his shades. I actually left them a spot on my flank to bait him into rock-dropping range. But realistically, the only way terradons will survive to drop rocks is with the combination of vanguard and going first. This happened, but I was very conservative on my vanguard move so couldn't quite get over the shades to make the drop. I left them nearby in case I had an opening to drop rocks, but the shades ended up just dashing up and peppering them to death anyway. Since I bitched out on the vanguard, I should've just pulled them back to my center to support my blocks. Having a flying unit nearby would've been really handy for blocking escape routes when he did his swift reforms. I didn't see that move coming, but hopefully I won't be making that mistake again.

All-in-all I think these kinds of lists will continue to be a tough matchup for me, but something that is still possible to handle as I improve. At least I feel better telling myself that.

Some speed could be what your list needs. Maybe even just 5 cold one knights, your character could hang out with these guys. if you have them running up the flank it could give his big points sinks of his BG and CO knights much fewer places to run to.

While I totally agree with this, I'm having a hard time finding the points for that. I am 10 points over the min core, so I cannot make room there. The terradons are my most mobile element so cutting them for mobility seems silly. Obviously, the largest chunk of points I have is the Slann and TG. I can't really cut the TG down much while still being able to protect the Slann reliably, and I can't trim down the Slann enough to free up the 150-180 points that 5 CO cav would cost me. So that leaves the Steggies, but I don't want to leave dinosaurs in the box!

Maybe I could drop one unit of terradons, and nickle and dime my way to that unit? Not sure, I'll think about it. At any rate, since I'm realizing that my loss had more to do with my strategic failures than list inadequacies, I'm not feeling so much pressure to change the list. Still food for thought though, because it would be nice to have a place to hide my Scar Vet. I am considering changing to the Wandering Deliberations (knows sigs from all 8 Lores) instead of Focus of Mystery on my Slann too. I've got a few games under my belt with the High Magic, so I kinda wanna take this for a spin. It would save me 5 points too...

I've got another game scheduled on Tuesday with Sherbert. I dunno what army he's using (hopefully not his Empire cuz...cannons), but I'll report back with thoughts and revelations regardless.