Starting to paint, need advice.

dorril

Basic digital cameras have a macro option, which can help, if you can keep it steady, and get the camera fairly close to the subject.  Even with a cell phone I try to brace to stabilize the shot, make sure there is good indirect light around the model,use marco settings, and turn off the flash. Photographers will give you all kinds of well supported advice about aperture and focal length, and stuff.  This is not that kind of advice.  Mine is more like "hey I took some pictures like this that turned out good enough to post on the local boards..."  

Have fun!  The model looks great, and will be ready for play when based.  Detail on the eyes?  Glowing on the plasma pistol?   The hand and arm holding the ax could use a wash with something like Argax Earthshade.

My highlighting is pretty weak, so any effort on your part is commendable.  Sometimes pictures don't capture what you see in person, so don't sweat it too much.  Brass I would work to bronze with washes.    

Glowing is a whole 'nother thread!   

Just going for a lens with a small reflective dot is a nice touch.  

2013-07-20-2180-40K-NewTau.JPG

2013-07-20-2191-40K-NewTau.JPG