Where do bombs shoot from?

Sounds like a joke question, I know, but that's the 40k rules question I need answered. When I drop a bomb with my flyer, where is the shot resolved from? They are not barrage weapons, as far as I can tell, so I am unclear if they are resolved based on the position of the flyer, the direction it flew from, or from the center dot as per barrage weapons. This matters for determining cover saves (especially from night fight), if resolving an attack against a vehicle with different armor facings, and when removing models. 

It's probably in an FAQ somewhere, but I couldn't find it.

I know, bombs are uncommon in 40k, but they have been out since the start of 6th, so it seems like there must be an answer somewhere.

-Pax

Some of the new bombs from 6E actually do have barrage, but I assume you're not talking about them.

Since bombs are listed as weapons and (usually) do not have any special exceptions granted to them, casualties are pulled and cover saves determined in the same way as a normal weapon. Ditto for Night Fighting distances, armor facings, etc.

Some of the new bombs from 6E actually do have barrage, but I assume you're not talking about them.

Since bombs are listed as weapons and (usually) do not have any special exceptions granted to them, casualties are pulled and cover saves determined in the same way as a normal weapon. Ditto for Night Fighting distances, armor facings, etc.

Example, I've got an enemy unit of ork boyz standing in the open, with a battle wagon behind them, facing the unit.

With the DA stasis bomb, I move in the movement phase right over both targets and settle 24" away, with the battle wagon mostly concealing the enemy unit from my LOS after the complete move. It is night fighting. Target is 24" away and is screened by the tank, so it has a 4+ cover against the attack?!?! Granted, this attack doesn't do much damage anyway - It does seem odd that my flyer would be giving cover to a unit sitting in the open, a unit that was completely out of cover when the bomb was dropped on target, just isn't after the bombing run is finished...

...So, if running a DE voidraven bomber, by flying over the battle wagon and dropping the void mine after moving behind it, I'd resolve against rear armor?

-Pax

Vector Strike definitely can, since it's not a shooting attack. Bombs I'm a bit less sure of, since they explicitly name themselves as weapons (and do not roll to hit, thus disqualifying themselves from snap shots.)

And yes, in your example, the Boyz would have 4+ cover against the bomb. It's extremely stupid, but that's how it technically works. GW did not really think the bomb rules through very well.