1800pt battle summary (GG league)

Low effort list + good match up = fun game.

My list:

DA+GK 1800pts

DA

Sammy (AV14 speeder, warlord)

Techmarine (PFG)

Scouts (5, cloaks, ML w/Flakk, C:MG)

Scouts (5, cloaks, ML w/Flakk, C:MG)

Land Raider (MM)

Land Raider (MM)

GK

Draigo

Paladin (1, hammer)

Land Raider (Psybolt)

Fortification

FSR (Stock)

Opponent's list:

Tyranids

Hive Tyrant (non-swarmlord swords, warlord)

-Guards (3)

Flyrant

Venomthrope (1)

Venomthrope (1)

Cthulhu-Fexen

Warriors (3)

Warriors (3)

Blob of Horms

Blob of Horms

Blob of Horms

Exocirine

Tyranofex (acid torrent)

Mission was scouring, 6 objectives, hammer and anvil deployment. No night fight turn 1 and I when first. Both tyrants rolled warp lance...

Match-up was perfect. I had lots of armor that he couldn't dent, but in turn, I had very low fire output. Turns breezed by, as I did minimal shooting and moving, and he did minimal shooting. His army advanced on foot, while my army turtled in a corner. Entire game was very iffy on who would win.

In highlights:

Draigo defeated the enemy sword tyrant in a challenge. The paladin IDed a exorcirine which charged through cover in assault. Sammy immobilized himself turn 1, but survived all game despite that. FSR actually hit and killed the enemy flyrant. Scouts defeated a blob of horms in assault over multiple rounds of making their armor saves...

Opponent did make some mistakes, as did I. Game ended in my victory on turn 7 - game would have been opponent's victory at the end of turn 5 or 6. Both of us had a blast.

-Pax

Grats on the win!

Much better than your previous encounter with Tyranids aye?

Yeah. Though had my marines this time, even if few in number, I just have more experience with marines than my IG,

-Pax

Same list with my re-occuring INQ (Ordo Malleus with Hell rifle) and true silver armor on the GK LR for the planetary empires game at 1850pts. Opponent was Evil Bryan's traitor IG.

Again, opponent had limited solutions to AV14. I focused on those and got lucky. This time I didn't win, but it was very close. Game ended with only scouts dead (outflanked and both killed a tank each with combi-meltas, but quickly died after). I had two objectives claimed, but contested, he had a solid one objective.

Not doing a report, but an evaluation of my army and it's units.

Draigo. At 275pts, he's worth every penny. A single model that functions as an entire terminator squad. This game he was responsible for the deaths of a herald of nurgle, two units of plaguebearers, and the remanants of an IG platoon command squad. I often find myself pitying my opponents with this model in assault, as he is pretty ridiculous. That said, at 275pts, I don't think isn't under-priced, just ridiculous.

Firestorm Redoubt. I'm debating the idea of dropping the FSR for a Bastion. Point difference is huge between the two and I can use the higher BS to fire. Still, the FSR is quite useful in it's own respect.

Land Raiders (2x DA w/ MM and 1x GK w/Psybolt). Debatable. Yeah, the theme of this list is basically to spam AV14, but their fire output is very lacking against anything with numbers. In both games, I've gotten lucky, no question. My fire output on the LRs is lacking. My durability hinges on the concept that most of the opponent's army can't reliably damage AV14. Necrons with gauss, in example, would something this list couldn't cope with.

Scouts (2x DA Scouts, 5-man, combi-melta sarge, flakk ML, bolters, cloaks). An amazing unit. I have an outflanking AT option, a reasonably durable scoring unit, a decent assault unit, a long range AT unit, a long range AA option, a decent LR cargo, and so forth. The unit isn't really amazing in any one role, but it preforms many roles at a low cost (105pts each). I may drop one unit for something else, like PA marines, DW terms, or RW bikes, but this unit is very impressive in most games.

Sammy on his Speeder (stock). As debatable as the LRs. He's a tricky one to use, needing to maintain safe distance from enemy units as being assaulted is certain death, while at the same time wanting to be in range of his 24" weapons and also needing to keep his rear AV concealed. His weapons are also odd, being very comparable to LRs in terms of fire output.

Techmarine (PFG). Again, debatable. Certainly key to the AV14 spam tactic, but he costs 85pts for a single model with a single wound. He also isn't as fast as the LRs, so he can't keep up with them, which means his value is only found when they remain mostly stationary. I could add a bike (110pts new price), but now he can't embark in the LR or building. I don't think we can give him a jump pack, but that would be a nice solution. It is true that the only reason I need the techmarine for this role, instead of an HQ, is that sammy can't take it. Replacing the techmarine with a 65pt libby (100pts with PFG) would be easy if not using sammy. I suppose the DA are the parent army here, so I don't need to replace sammy for the slot, but I would for the points.

Hmm...for tactical changes, could swap the GK to parent, replace one of the scout squads with a GK strike squad, and swap one of the DA LRs for a GK one. Might need some more point shuffling, but that could work. Strike squad would grant me much needed DS defenses. Might want to swap the FSR for a Bastion too, though that one is less related.

-Pax