40k siege setting?

m3310227a_99020199009_WDApocBattleReport

Picture is on the GW site, though topic is not about the above kit sale, but rather an idea it triggers. The idea is to do a game with lots of fortifications, a game where much of the battling is about capturing fortifications, rather than having a few of them on a tabletop. In the above picture, imagine deploying your army on one side and the opponent's on the other. Longways, side ways, or diagonal table split, you'd still have a good handful of fortifications on either side of the table. Land vehicles might be less practical with such a table set-up, while jump infantry, jet bikes and skimmers would be pretty impressive. Could even say the fortification weapons were inoperable, and still you'd have a very interesting game.

Anyway, pictured game is on over-sized table and features too many expensive kits, but I very much like the concept of a battle in/for a fortification complex. Sort of like cities of death.

Thoughts?

-Pax

The question, I feel, becomes "Do we place 1000 points of fortifications before the game that are neutral until/unless occupied OR do we play a XXXX Point game with one side being forced to Spend X% of points on fortifications?"

Personally, if I were playing a game as you described or on a table like the one I want, I'd have it be separate from the army lists, and be neutral unless occupied.  I want it to add to the game, not be forced upon someone....in most instances.

Then, adding things like Power Generators, if one side occupies/controls the power generators, they can restrict WHAT fortifications are able to fire, depending on the type of fortification.  In this instance, I'd prefer to see the power generators have cables running to the fortifications it powered.  Perhaps some have their own generators.

If an Imperial army is within XX distance of an Imperial Relic (Church of the Immortal Emperor, Space Marines and their Statues, etc) they get +1 INV or a 5+ inv.