Fortress of Redemption Missile Silo question

Okay, so fortress of redemption has a missile silo as pictured here:

m550180a_99120101082_FortressOfRedemptio

It also has "doors" for said missile silo pictured with guys standing on it here:

m550175a_99120101082_FortressOfRedemptio

This silo "door" is shown both on the GW site and in the Stronghold Assault book.

My question is can I actually put models on top of it? This question relates to the SA book changing the top of buildings to count as upper levels of ruins. This would mean that I could technically put a skimmer, MC or walker on the battlements of a building. That said, the only spot a skimmer/walker/MC base would fit on this model is if it were standing right on that door. Can I do this?

If I do, can the building still shoot the missiles? Sounds silly, but remember that models with barrage weapons (like the missiles) are permitted in 40k to fire out of fire points or through the ceiling of a ruin, as the weapons specifically do not require any line of sight.

It is notable that a skimmer would still require dangerous terrain to get on or off the building and non-jump MCs or Walkers would require a transport or other ability to leave.

I can see arguments either way on both questions, so looking for outside imput given the cost of this model.

-Pax

I would say if that platform has a door covering the Missile Silo and the player was claiming he had the missile silo, the model is not WYSIWYG as I don't see a missile silo...I see a door.

Huh? Door bit is a disc that goes over the missile silo. No glue required. Here, close up of door:

m690029a_99120101082_FortressRedemptionS

In fluff, door bit slides open from the middle when missiles fire. Should be WYSIWYG, easy.

Honestly, I'm really annoyed that GW makes us buy the weapons on most of the fortifications. I want a building without weapons, but the option to buy weapons if needed. A Fortress of Redemption kit can be built without weapons, but cannot be fielded...annoying.

-Pax

If the door is open, a model is not able to stand on top.  Would you place a model on top of the Icarus and call it kosher?

And that is the issue at hand. The minor difference between this and the icarius, is that this one is both flat and documented by GW as being able to have models on it.

Back to the original two questions, seems like your opposed to being able to fire if a model is on the "door," are you also opposed to the question about putting the skimmer/MC/walker on in the first place? Or is it acceptable to place the model there and just say that while a model is over the "door" the silo cannot fire?

-Pax

Does the FoR come with the missile silo as a stock, fixed weapon?  Or is it an upgrade?

Stock weapon and fixed weapon. Upgrade for different kind of missiles, but no visual difference. It's a really annoying part too, as having the guns on both sides really limits what can be put on the battlements. In another example, I don't think I can fit an IG heavy weapon team on the battlements unless we cover that silo.

-Pax

Since the pictures show it with the silo cover on in many of the photos and the cover itself is an actual bit that comes with the model, I think your opponent is going to be hard-pressed to deny you the ability to play with the model that way, especially since the actual space on top of that battlement is pretty limited otherwise. The other option is to just have models hang over the edge, and there's no rule against that, either, other than perhaps Wobbly Model Syndrome.

The huge size of certain specific unit bases (IG weapon teams, Broadsides, etc) makes fitting them places they should logically be able to go somewhat absurd. I say go with it.

Since the pictures show it with the silo cover on in many of the photos and the cover itself is an actual bit that comes with the model, I think your opponent is going to be hard-pressed to deny you the ability to play with the model that way, especially since the actual space on top of that battlement is pretty limited otherwise. The other option is to just have models hang over the edge, and there's no rule against that, either, other than perhaps Wobbly Model Syndrome.

The huge size of certain specific unit bases (IG weapon teams, Broadsides, etc) makes fitting them places they should logically be able to go somewhat absurd. I say go with it.

Thanks. Both an answer and a solid argument for my opponent.

-Pax