Boon of Mutation+daemon allies?

As silly as it sounds, present rules allow my MoT sorcerer to cast "boon of mutation" on friendly codex daemon characters to give them rolls on the CSM boon table. There is no FAQ on this at all. Granted, as only affecting characters, it is limited in scope and can potentially turn them into spawn (but specifically not into princes).

This sound legit, or like GW oversight? Or does a FAQ already exist that I missed?

Probably an oversight, but not one that actually causes any problems. I don't see any reason it wouldn't work.

I see two potential issues. First is just that if you turn a model from one codex into a model from another codex, even if just chaos spawn, seems like that alone could create an issue. I suppose the chaos spawn entry is in both books, so you could probably default to the other book for ease.

Second issue is that powers granted are not lost after a turn, as normal buff psychic powers. Rolls on the table grant permanent bonuses. I will note that if the idea of a gamble on that table appeals, any daemon characters T6 or higher are basically immune to the wounding part of it. Odds are 2/36 to become spawn, and the power doesn't have to hit (blessing), so it could affect flying daemon charcters. So, If kitted for it, you could put 8x MoT sorcerers in a single FOC (2x HQ, 6x troops), with 1 in 3 getting the power (so, ~2 per list).

In terms of powers on the table, most are pretty scary if placing them on the bigger daemons, especially given that they are permanent bonuses. Everything from higher toughness, to increased BS, to eternal warrior, to improved armor saves. Granted, this approach is equally a gamble, as turning them into spawn early on could be a huge problem.

I will note that if the new datasheet that makes hellbrute characters, you could potentially have that roll on the table too, though I think a good number of powers would be mostly useless for vehicles.

Lastly, all this might not really matter much, what with D weapons in normal play and all.

Changing a Model from CD to CSM creates no more issues than other Rules that GW has introduced with no guidelines, like how Crimson Slaughter Possessed can suddenly become Beasts while in a Transport, which Beasts aren't allowed to Embark on.

Also, depending on the Daemon in question, something like 15-16 of the 26 possible results are either bad or useless, and 4 of the 36 are straight up bad for an FMC. If you really want to dump 1000+ Points into an attempt to get 2-3 castings of this a Turn for the couple of FMCs that you are now limited to, I really wouldn't have a problem with it.

Also, depending on the Daemon in question, something like 15-16 of the 26 possible results are either bad or useless, and 4 of the 36 are straight up bad for an FMC. If you really want to dump 1000+ Points into an attempt to get 2-3 castings of this a Turn for the couple of FMCs that you are now limited to, I really wouldn't have a problem with it.

Well, I don't think it's broken at all, just listing potential issues. As you say, odds aren't in favor of anything amazing.

As for the cost, MSU (if you can call it that given the cost per unit) thousand sons isn't a horrible route in general. The unit gains only more bodies with more members, while most of their abilities can be found on that one unit character. The unit is basically an elites sorcerer with 4x body guards. Yeah, bump them to troops and a bigger squad is needed, but that assumes you don't include other troops.

If sticking to just thousand sons for troops, they do get a bit cheaper if you blob them, but they lose out on sorcerers. In example, 20-man blobs of TS are 495pts base cost. A 5-man and two 6-man TS units are 496pts together. Yeah, so for the cost of ~3 bodies, I get 3x sorcerers instead of just one (the sorcerer isn't just a psyker, he's also the only model a melee armor save denial weapon), though I am now a much less formidable with any of the three units. 

In terms of size, the entire unit is fearless and slow & purposeful, so I don't lose anything morale based for smaller units and it won't affect overwatch at all. Main limitation would be transports/buildings, which goes back and forth between both methods on which is better.