Laurels of Command: one shooting attack, or multiple?

Treads-n-Wings

Discussed this recently with my friend, I want to hear what you guys think of it.

I had assumed when using an Officer with the Laurels of Command to issue multiple shooting orders to a unit (assuming the 4+ roll was passed) that if I ordered, for example, FRFSRF and then Take Aim, the ordered unit would make two shooting attacks, one affected by FRFSRF and one affected by Take Aim.  Two shooting attacks, with a single different effect on each one.

When using LoC came up in active play, my friend said that I would only make one shooting attack, but after I had rolled to see if I could issue extra orders.  He interpreted it as I would issue any and all orders allowed to the unit, which would then make a single shooting attack, with all the orders taking effect in that single shooting attack.  His reasoning for this was that all the rules for LoC and for Orders specify an effect on the actions of a Guard unit, but they do not specifically force the Guard unit to execute that action immediately.

My one objection to my friend's interpretation was the text from the Guard codex errata, which reads as follows:

Q: If I issue an order to a unit with an Officer who has the Laurels of Command, and I roll a 4+ to issue another order to the same unit, do I resolve the first order before issuing the second?  A: Yes.

On reviewing this, however, I saw this still did not specifically force the ordered unit to execute an action.

For the moment, my friend is correct, unless both of us have missed something vital.  (And I'm glad he caught me on it early, too.)

I want to hear how other people have used the Laurels, especially since the Winter League is coming up.

• Like 1

orders do not include the shooting attack this edition... you actually go around declare all the orders (they say until the end of the phase now), then once all orders are declared you resolve the rest of your shooting phase in any order of units you want. So much confusion this edition comes from artifacts of how we used to do things sneaking back into our brains. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, VonVilkee said:

orders do not include the shooting attack this edition... you actually go around declare all the orders (they say until the end of the phase now), then once all orders are declared you resolve the rest of your shooting phase in any order of units you want. So much confusion this edition comes from artifacts of how we used to do things sneaking back into our brains. 

That's how I read it too. Though in hindsight, I think I have had opponents use this the other way and they may have been playing wrong. 

On ‎1‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 6:26 AM, VonVilkee said:

...you actually go around declare all the orders (they say until the end of the phase now), then once all orders are declared you resolve the rest of your shooting phase in any order of units you want. 

Never thought about it like that, that's an interesting way to do it.  I myself get all the orders out of the way at the start of the Shooting phase, mostly so I don't forget about them.

3 hours ago, Treads-n-Wings said:

Never thought about it like that, that's an interesting way to do it.  I myself get all the orders out of the way at the start of the Shooting phase, mostly so I don't forget about them.

agreed and old rules you resolved the full attack before moving on... new edition and all... the laurels are cool cuz you could combine them where as before no combinations were possible. Think about vostroyan specific and then take aim or bring it down... actually works as written but wouldn't if you resolved the shooting attack immediately for each.