Removing Primer

Sume

Now I normally use simple green for my stripping needs.  I am running into some highly stubborn white craft store primer.  After several simple green baths.  I just cant seem to shake this stuff loose.  Most models its not to bad.  As its thin enough to paint over.  Its the ones that happen to got hit with a more thick coat or was to close.  These are plastic cadian models.  I rather not melt them.  Any suggestions.

Thanks all.

• Like 1

I ran into something similar a while back, After almost a month in the simple green it did not budge. Used ultrasonic cleaner, Electric toothbrush and eventually a sculpting Pick to get some of the thicker areas down.

In my personal opinion when its thick and pervasive like that its going to be more work than its worth.

Others may have good suggestions but figured I would share mine. (Side note a month in simple green did not cause any issues with the plastic)

11 hours ago, Sume said:

Now I normally use simple green for my stripping needs.  I am running into some highly stubborn white craft store primer.  After several simple green baths.  I just cant seem to shake this stuff loose.  Most models its not to bad.  As its thin enough to paint over.  Its the ones that happen to got hit with a more thick coat or was to close.  These are plastic cadian models.  I rather not melt them.  Any suggestions.

Thanks all.

Buy new ones? Not entirely joking. Cadians are still in production, so replacing them is probably pretty easy, though I suppose quantity matters if you have large collection or just a few models needing to remove their primer. Otherwise, I suggest painting over them and just accepting that they won't be perfect. And you can always work it into their paint scheme (muddy models, or some other weather/battle effect that makes the broken sections of the model look intentional).

In general, the big advantage of metal over plastic is that metal can be stripped with more powerful chemicals.

True.  I settled on the fact that if I cant get it off some of these bothersome models.  That I am not losing to much.  Its around the volume of 100 cadians.  I did plan to buy a command box or two anyways.  Its not like I am losing to many.  

There is always the possibility to toss some camo netting, or green-stuff capes over the thickened areas.  As its really just around the back and heads of a couple of these models.  

I prefer to use a primer I trust is why I been trying to get them back to bare plastic.  I might just give a sample model a go and see how it comes out.  Still I figure for some house sitting for 2 weeks of times.  Getting around 100 cadians, plus a load of heavy weapon teams, 2 lemun russ, a chimera missing parts, and 2 sentials I dont like the weapon load outs on.  Was a good enough payment.  As my friend still owed me some for doing it back in December so I got his old orks to.  That bunch I havent begun to catalog yet.  As its up wards to 300 boys with some killa kans, def koptas, a truk, a buggy, nobz, a few warboss, and a battle-wagon.  Since he has no desire to play anymore.

• Like 1

Well great news.  I picked up some Non-acetone finger nail polish remover.  I made sure that it has no acetone.  Since you dont want that.  It got this really bothersome primer off.  I was glad.  I was willing to sacrifice a few models in an attempt to find what worked of course.

• Like 2