Getting Started Advice Genestealer Cults In Necromunda

Tao Tsê-Mung

So Necromunda has interested me for a while, as has Genestealer Cults but a full 40k army of them seems a bit crazy right now, and I understand they can be played in Necromunda. So a couple thoughts and questions before jumping in.

- Are gsc fair in Necromunda? ie I don't want to pick the OP Funkiller faction by accident.
- There's three characters that are pretty cheap right now on ebay - leftovers from Shadow Throne I think - Magus, Primus, Iconbearer - are those useable in Necromunda too?
- If I picked up those characters and the basic Neophytes troops is that all I'd need models-wise? Would the Acolytes with the third arms be useful as well?
- There also seems to be some new Familiars that look like mini Acolytes, are those useful or just fluffy?
- Lastly I see you guys have seasons/campaigns, when's the best time to join?

Thanks for your input - looking forward to running some homicidal health and safety code enforcement inspectors!

• Like 1

The campaign is structured that it can be joined any time.  Territories are abstract so it's not like there are a limited amount that have to be passed out. 

GSC aren't any any better or worse than any other gang. From a narrative standpoint they can make a good villain. 

If the gang does start to get to "big for it's britches" expect the mob with pitchforks and torches to come for ya.

• Thanks 1

I haven’t heard anything about them being OP. They look pretty fun and adaptable. https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-houses-er-cults-of-the-underhive-genestealer-cults/
i think they also have access to the new wyrd powers in the Book of Outcasts, which could be a game changer. 
you can really mod any models you want as long as the weapons are representative, which is part of the fun. You’re limited to two aberrants

Don’t think I’ll use any aberrants for a while since they’re in demand for 40k now.

But the neophytes kits are in surplus and right now - 10 dudes with a bunch of shotguns and automatics plus six special/heavy weapons and a leader with a sword & pistols for $30 on ebay.

Seems like a fortuitous time to enter the Hive! 

• Like 1

The only downside to any gang that isn’t a house gang is the lack of depth. Each of the house gangs have their own book with fluff and goodies. Plus there are narrative rules such as alliances and such that non house gangs just can’t take advantage of. 

That being said the current campaign has a heavy narrative element that can be incorporated, just like in RPGs the rule of fun applies.

I built a GSC gang for my friend a few months back, and they are surprisingly competitive, but I feel like you have to play them in a very narrow, highly specific way. The Adept is a good psychic leader, the Cult gets cheap hand flamers, and all your champs & leaders can take a psychic familiar that makes them stupidly hard to kill. The Cult is fun to play if you've already got models lying around for Kill Team or whatever, but I feel like House Cawdor is thematically similar, and they would give you more bang for your buck.   

If you want to read more about GSC in Necromunda, this Goonhammer guide is really great:

https://www.goonhammer.com/necromunday-houses-er-cults-of-the-underhive-genestealer-cults/

To answer your specific questions: the Magus & Primus are both usable as leaders. I'd go for Magus if you have to pick one because that's the best model to use for the psychic adept leader. I think you can also use the icon bearer by hacking together a few of the character options, but I don't think it's a very great build. Neophytes will be your bread and butter, so pick those up. I would skip acolytes entirely: third arms are too expensive to use more than maybe one, and heavy melee weapons are even less cost-efficient. Like I said up top, Psychic Familiars are arguably the best model in the Gang, and you can use up to three. 

I hope this helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, I don’t want to build the crazy competitive lists and the tiny familiars are as expensive as the characters so I’ll probably just skip them. I’ll check out goonhammer’s review too.

So far I’ve picked up a Magus, Primus, and Icon for dirt cheap and a neophyte squad - probably going to build one of each heavy/special weapon just for laughs and see which one I like playing the best.

Part of the appeal of GSC over cawdor is that the same warband could play in necromunda, kill team, and as an intro to the army in 40k crusade. Plus it’s a good time to get cheap characters because folks are dumping them out of the discount boxes right now.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tao Tsê-Mung said:

Thanks, I don’t want to build the crazy competitive lists and the tiny familiars are as expensive as the characters so I’ll probably just skip them. I’ll check out goonhammer’s review too.

So far I’ve picked up a Magus, Primus, and Icon for dirt cheap and a neophyte squad - probably going to build one of each heavy/special weapon just for laughs and see which one I like playing the best.

Part of the appeal of GSC over cawdor is that the same warband could play in necromunda, kill team, and as an intro to the army in 40k crusade. Plus it’s a good time to get cheap characters because folks are dumping them out of the discount boxes right now.

Your plan sounds awesome, and I look forward to seeing those ugly little dudes across the table. 

• Thanks 1