Help with pinning/green stuff/making capes, etc

Darthweasel

I have an idea for a conversion theme I want to do that is frankly beyond my capabilities. I want to make it look like weapons are coming from rings as opposed to being held in hands. 

There are a couple different armies it would work with but I am actually somewhat thinking Tau for crisis suits. Could do other parts of the theme with Kroot and still others with fire warriors and hammerheads, so I think it would work.

Is there someone who would be willing to show me hands-on how to do pinning and work with greenstuff? Would gladly buy you pizza and soda or pay a reasonable rate. 

Thanks in advance

I can show pinning for free, but I'm not your guy for fancy green stuff. For capes and cloaks, I just use actual cloth with super glue to reinforce - I'm on the cheaper side of modeling....

Tips and tricks and tutorials are great but mostly its just practice. Especially sculpting. Two things:

Pinning: Get an awl or straight steel pick to mark where you want to drill. And get a bit index. Different jobs need different sized holes. 

Greenstuff: Get something to lubricate your fingers while working. Lots of folks use vaseline. And practice mixing up very small amounts of putty at one time. If you mix too much you will inevitably throw it away since you can't stop the hardening process once it starts. 

Appreciate both. Pax, where do you normally hang out? 

Though I think after spending some time thinking about it, I might steer away from the pinning after all. What I am trying to do is a riff on the Green Lantern Corps, and to represent the ring-power, I want to stick the weapons a yet to be determined space away from the hands as if they are being run off will power...faint green glowing effect...bought some plastalina tonight that I am doing some experimenting with. And if that works I see a Darth Vader terminator in my future...

Appreciate both. Pax, where do you normally hang out? 

Though I think after spending some time thinking about it, I might steer away from the pinning after all. What I am trying to do is a riff on the Green Lantern Corps, and to represent the ring-power, I want to stick the weapons a yet to be determined space away from the hands as if they are being run off will power...faint green glowing effect...bought some plastalina tonight that I am doing some experimenting with. And if that works I see a Darth Vader terminator in my future...

I'm at home or at guardian games when I hang out. 

Your project is interesting and probably difficult. I suppose I'd make the model (firmly pinned to a base) with the ring and the weapon as two independent pieces, likely from conversions of existing parts. I'd then make, with putty, a sort of energy that extends from one to the other. I wouldn't glue it at this stage, but let it dry. I'd then drill/needle a rod/paperclip through the hardened putty and into both the ring and the weapon. You may need some putty/conversion touch ups at this stage. Then paint it well, as the paint job will make or break this conversion.

I suppose an alternate approach would be to find existing bits that can be combined to make what you are seeking. This route is probably more expensive, while the former route is much more time intensive.