How to: Use a Pencil for Weathering - GFN Studio Workshop

Uselesswizard

Using a pencil to add weathering effects to your miniatures is a simple and easy way to enhance the look of your minis. Use the pencil to add chipping effects, scratch marks, or spots of worn away paint.

The best kind of pencil to use is one with soft lead.  In general terms that means a standard No. 2 pencil.  In artist terms you want a pencil with lead that is rated between HB and 8B.  Hard leads will most likely tear or literally scratch away the paint on your miniatures.  Come to think of it, that might be kind of cool.  I'll have to do some experimenting to see what that might look like.

Next video we're going over using pigments to create an oxidized brass effect. Keep your eyes to your Subscribed feed!

Thanks for watching!  If you liked this video, please subscribe and like our channel.  If you found the video useful, please share it with your friends!

To keep up to date with everything Game Face Nation is up to. please sign up for our newsletter over at www.gamefacenation.com  It'll be worth it, we promise!

Until next time, get your game face on!

"The Builder" by Kevin MacLeod are licensed under a CC Attribution 3.0.
Permissions beyond the scope of this license are available at http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/licenses/.
  • Like 2

Yes, I recommended HB lead as a starting point in the origional post.  If you want to go softer then you can get pencils from the art or craft store.  I would recommend B or 2B.

I am going to be experimenting with using harder graphite to actually chip away at the paint when I use the pencil as well.  Just to see what happens

Yes, I recommended HB lead as a starting point in the origional post.  If you want to go softer then you can get pencils from the art or craft store.  I would recommend B or 2B.

I am going to be experimenting with using harder graphite to actually chip away at the paint when I use the pencil as well.  Just to see what happens

I recall an old WD article where you'd put table salt on the fresh paint, dry, then paint over. After drying, you were supposed to be able to peel off the layer covering the salt with a finger, which allowed a corroded look of the outer layer.

Not the same thing, but similar.