Multiple weapon swaps?

Just wondering, if an entry requires a model to swap a weapon they don't come with, but can swap a weapon they come with for, can I swap?

In example, says to swap melee weapon for a fancy melee weapon. Model comes with pistol and bolter. Model can swap pistol/bolter for melee weapon. Can I take the fancy melee weapon?

I ask because army builder used to be very anal about multiple weapon swaps. I'm not really sure they were wrong or right, so I'm asking.

Example: SM Tactical squad sergeant. Comes stock with bolt pistol and bolter. Listed as being able to swap either or both for a chainsword. To get a power weapon, I need to swap either a melee weapon or a bolt pistol. If I want a power sword and bolt pistol combination, I'd need to swap the Bolter for a chainsword, then swap the chainsword for a power sword.

Another example: GK techmarine. Comes with bolter and power axe. I want "the fury of deimos" relic weapon, but it requires swapping a storm bolter. I can swap the bolter for a storm bolter (+3pts), then swap the storm bolter for the weapon I want (+10pts, +13pts total).

I could keep adding examples, but I think you get the idea.

Maybe still unclear, it was army builder's stance that you could only swap a stock weapon for another weapon the single time. So a SM sergeant couldn't take the BP+Sword because it requires swapping twice (swapping a swapped weapon).

Mind you, though the stance was officially one way, they were terribly inconsistent regarding actual implementation. That's why I use battlescribe now.

For the sarge, you could swap the bolt pistol for a power sword and the bolter for a bolt pistol, right?  Either way, yes.

Unless the GK techmarine is different than basic SM ones, you can't get relics on a techmarine.  

Ah, yeah, I suppose you could do it that way...

GK techmarine is very different from the SM one. He does have relic access, but doesn't come stock with the storm bolter, hence the question.

Better example for the SM squad sergeant: Two lightning claws. First one is no issue, swapping bolt pistol for claw. Second one requires that multiple swap, as can't trade the bolter directly for the second claw.

Consensus seems to be that multiple swaps are legal.

Thank you all very much.

It was a very good question as stances could go either way and there have been issues with when swapping happens before...old Ork Nobs... I'm right there with if you can get to it don't worry about the number of swaps just make sure you are swapping the right thing.