Fortress of Shields and ICs....

Fortress of Shields special rule from the DW Knights

Any model in this unit that is equipped with a storm shield (including models with the Independent Character special rule that have joined it) and is in base contact with at least 2 other models from this unit has +1 toughness

So to verify, I have a unit of DW Knights. I attach 3x TWC battle leaders with SS to the unit. So long as the battle leaders are in base contact with each other, they'd gain +1 toughness (T6)?

As written seems like I'm not required to have models in base contact with any of the DW knights....they just need to be attached to the DW knight unit and in base contact with any 2 other models attached to that unit (like other ICs...).

Yeah, that should work. And if you took 5 Knights, and clumped three of them up as well, you'd have 2 T4 Models, 3 T5, and 3 T6, for a Majority Toughness of 6. Could also just do it with DA ICs on Bikes. I might have to fool around with that and Sammael.

I really think that this unit has great ominous potential for cheesy shenanigans in events.

Well, it can bump up guys to a higher Toughness if you clump them up, sure... but at the end of the day it's still a melee-only unit that moves 6" per turn and just has a regular 2+ save. Scatter Bikes and Broadsides will still grind you to dust long before you reach them, Knights will still wipe out out pretty hard in a fight (especially if your are clumped up to use Fortress!) and many other common tourney units will take you to pieces.

It's a cute trick, but I don't think it's even a blip on the competitive radar.

Well, it can bump up guys to a higher Toughness if you clump them up, sure... but at the end of the day it's still a melee-only unit that moves 6" per turn and just has a regular 2+ save. Scatter Bikes and Broadsides will still grind you to dust long before you reach them, Knights will still wipe out out pretty hard in a fight (especially if your are clumped up to use Fortress!) and many other common tourney units will take you to pieces.

It's a cute trick, but I don't think it's even a blip on the competitive radar.

You say that, but Draigo has a storm shield...now we can gate...

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Can't assault same turn after gate. And you are forced to position yourself in a tight bubble making blasts and templates hurt more. Wound saturation will chew threw 2+ 3++.

This unit is close to minimum 700?

Can't assault same turn after gate. And you are forced to position yourself in a tight bubble making blasts and templates hurt more. Wound saturation will chew threw 2+ 3++.

This unit is close to minimum 700?

Horribly expensive unit. Idea would be a "cram everything into one squad" list. You know, like most deathstar lists.

I've no intention of fielding such a monstrosity, but it's fun to speculate about.

Anyway, the unit doesn't need to stay together all game, or even together at all in some games. It's an option for armies which need a way to make their T5 guys immune to ID for the first turn or so. Especially viable if you can get FNP in the unit.

If opponent, in example, brings that new vindicator squadron and pie plates a 7" blast with S10 ap2 ignores cover, that TWC/biker unit is going to suffer a lot. Attach that TWC unit to the DW Knights and now it can't ID the guys in front. Instead of 1 failed 3++, it's 3 failed 3++ for each of those battle leaders in front.

Could also Deep Strike the DW Knights to the ICs for a turn 2+ plan, especially if an IC has a teleport homer. Would be great to be able to attach the ICs right as that Dreadnought squadron was nearing to assault.

As ICs they can always seperate, so no need to stay anchored to the DW Knight unit for turns that it doesn't matter.