Sportsmanship in Infinity

NakedPanda

http://tamrielo.com/?p=703

A neat read from the person who took 1st place at our tournament up here, and I was his first round face to be stomped!

Great player (the best I have yet met), and a treat to lose to.

Though he speaks a bit ill of some other games (which you may or may not agree with), it does not detract from the thrust of the post.

Enjoy!

• Like 6

And this is no way a comment on anyone who played, all gents!

Just found this to be a more articulate way to describe what sets Infinity apart from the rest of the industry!

I get it Chris! You had a bad game with me, I'm a bad person  :sad:  Now I have to turn the wrath of my MAF towards the planets of the Yu Jing! Muhahahahaha

• Like 2

It's a very interesting article, for certain, and it really does describe my own gaming habits and outlook since I've reached 'later years'. Early on (my early 20's), I could be 'that guy', but I like to think that I've matured and become far more laid back. It really helped to stop going to tournaments (40K). I also dropped Warmachine. And, I think most important of all, I picked my gaming buddies a little more carefully. I know that might sound elitist to some people, but there are players who simply don't 'gel', and I've met a few over the years, and I would rather save them and myself 2-4 hours of misery per game, if I can help it.

That being said, some systems do seem more 'conducive' to questionable sportsmanship, whether it's because they attract a certain 'type' of player/power-gamer, or whether it's something built-in to the rules itself.

But that guy did hit on something that definitely fits with me: I -love- team games. I love having a partner to team-up with, and work together with. I am fine with 1v1 games, of course, but if there was an option for a 'team' type scenario, I'd jump at it in a heartbeat. One of the best tournaments I've ever been apart of (And one of the last I was in) was at Adepticon 2012 in Chicago. I played in the LotR Team-tournament, and it was so freakin' awesome. The players, the organization, the scenarios... I believe there's a camaraderie between you and your opponent in 1v1, of course, but there's a different kind when you have a buddy on your side, facing the same challenges you are.

Anyway, just my 2 coppers... or whatever they use for currency in Infinity! :)

-Tim

• Like 2

George is, THE WORST lololol

Yep i get ya. When i was in the teens i was way more competitive with non historical games. Your description of maturing through percection of the hobby makes perfect sense to more than just me i bet!

A game like infinity would have attracted, and frustrated me for having to interact with my opponent to deduce the situation.

Now it is the reason i love this game. It sorts out and exposes how a player really is looking to play the game. The super duper blindside game, or the on table tactics? New players do get awfully roughed up though, but that learning phase passes fast for those that stick through the hazing.

Hazing = ad combat drop shotgun in the back field and or duroc with a few cups of coffee etc

The game simply stops when the waac plays 'that way'. If their interpretation of the rules is self serving, infinity is reciprocal so that is almost always hilariously fun to see how that will work for that game hahaha.

We can all rant on bad games, but i bet we have had more good and great games played, and will have more!

On phone so i cant go on more at this time sorry

• Like 1