AoS at Adepticon 2016

Threejacks

The even rules are posted for Adepticon in April,thought I would link them here so we can look them over and see how AoS is shaping up for a more competitive type of play.

http://www.adepticon.org/wpfiles/2016/2016waoschamp.pdf

They are using 1800 point caps on the SDK points system,that seems right about spot on for timing on event rounds.

Intersting that they are doing several houserules for many of the issues we have been discussing in recent days:)

Edited to show their updated cap of 1800 points

The even rules are posted for Adepticon in April,thought I would link them here so we can look them over and see how AoS is shaping up for a more competitive type of play.

http://www.adepticon.org/wpfiles/2016/2016waoschamp.pdf

They are using 1500 point caps on the SDK points system,that seems right about spot on for timing on event rounds.

Intersting that they are doing several houserules for many of the issues we have been discussing in recent days:)

Lol, looks like they still haven't noticed that Karanak isn't a hero, despite being a named warscroll.....Wonder if it will come up.

He's the main reason I modified it to be 0-1 named warscrolls, rather than 0-1 named heroes. Though my limitation caps the total special characters to 1, while there's are unlimited, just no duplicates (other than Karanak). We also avoid most of the broken combos, by not allowing multiple named characters.

1500 is so small. Can't really build a focused force with that. At least one with any kind of synergy

Not when you add in summoning. I'm thinking that's the direction most players will be fielding for this event. Seems entirely set up around limiting the starting army, without any attempt to limit the army in play. Doesn't seem very balanced, and certainly prone to rules shenanigans.

It's more even match by SDK.

If you go by wounds you can bring 20 HE spearmen or 20 swordmasters same wound count way different power levels.

Where with SDK you can bring 20 spearmen or 9 swordmasters and even then we know the swordmasters will most likely win,but the spearmen stand a better chance then against 20 swordmasters.

So it's either a large force of minor units or a small force of elites.

It's more even match by SDK.

If you go by wounds you can bring 20 HE spearmen or 20 swordmasters same wound count way different power levels.

Where with SDK you can bring 20 spearmen or 9 swordmasters and even then we know the swordmasters will most likely win,but the spearmen stand a better chance then against 20 swordmasters.

So it's either a large force of minor units or a small force of elites.

I guess. I see it more like the HE player may choose which wounds best suite their plan, then choose the models that best serve them. If a wound is better somewhere else, don't take that model/unit. I know, makes some units unlikely to be ever fielded, but that's not really different from a point system.

I don't really agree with the SDK's point system, but I don't really think AoS benefits from any point system. WHFB needs points when playing without missions in, in a straight killing game. When you add a mission, the value of some units change, but the points remain, which breaks the balance of the point system.

The other key factor is that summoned units wreck any system that attempts balance based on the starting models. An SDK system that caps points in play, rather than points in the starting army, would be more balanced. I still think the point system is obsolete when using missions, but it would help balance.

Anyway, I know I'm using the wound system now, though I'm not sure if it will stay. I agree it is a lacking system, but I haven't decided if another system can be employed where we can maintain faction balanced without overly complicated rules for army creation. I need more experience playing to decide.

I would play in this if it was around here. I think rules are fine.

Their rules are fine for a tournament. I totally endorse that.

That said, I have no interest in making AoS in to a tournament game which I'm unable to find casual players to enjoy a hobby game with. I would like to enjoy a casual, simple game, where I don't need to think a bunch about how rules interact with FAQs and other third party rules. I love what GW did with AoS and I hope the player base doesn't destroy it. I want to play a Hobby game, not a board game.

Chess is a solid game for tournaments.

Indeed,this is the rules for their 'Age of Sigmar Championship" Event.The 1500 point SDK armies with max of 750 point summoning pool and 7 warscroll minimum is a bit on the small side but is also designed to fit within the confines of what likely is a 1.5 to 2.0 hr tournament round.

I would like to try the AoS School league rules as a small sort of competitive event,the armies and game size is designed to be played in an hour or so time slot.

For a more narrative,fluff orientated event I would think that using just a basic wound count with some restrictions would be fine.Of course coupled with battleplans for scenarios.

Just listened to the interview over at Heelenhammer with the AoS TO for Adepticon,they went over this comp system and had some very good reasoning for the choices they have made with it.

So far there 65 players signed up for the 2 day event with a total of 110 slots(I think it was).

Anyhow I would like to try this comp out some time:)

I'm game to try. I wish we had some kind of turny going on around here for AoS. Seems to be on fire in Europe and Canada, and eastcoast USA seem to be building ,but Westcoast seem to be falling short for AoS for some reason.

When, and if, those of us that bought Dreadhold Sections get finished painting, doing a massive siege themed event would be a pretty solid way to get people into AoS. Balance matters less than the visual appeal of a proper fantasy siege battle. :biggrin:

They made some changes to this recently,,its not showing 1800 point armies with no sideboard.

Summoning armies need to assemble a 750 point pool of models to summon from.

Things I noted from summoning-

The pool can only include one monster and no heros.

The units that are in the summoning pool don't require a warscroll to be in play in order to summon them.

Models/units in the summoning pool can be recycled,dead models are returned to the summoning pool for reuse as desired.I assume this would be the same for models/units that started the game on the board.

No more that one unit can be summoned per turn.I don't think this applies to regrows through battle standards and other abilities though.

Also,no mention of the Time of War rules being used.Not really surprised as they are for playing the Vanilla game with Battleplans.

Steel Angel and I will be trying this out this coming Tuesday 1/12 over at WoW:)

So is this the new format we are doing? Or your going to test out at least?

Did they modify the format from the pdf you linked before? If so can you find a new download link?

Edit: found the link...looks they they bumped it to 1800. Are we changing our format to that?

Naa...1500 is still good for casual stuff.

But we may use this format for more competitive games though.