Blood Angels League Game 1700 points?

Nathanvoodoo

I'm running out of hope for this army, but I've committed thus far.

So, this is what I'm thinking for 1700 point game.

Angels Fury Spearhead Force 1185 points

3 Storm Ravens with Hurricane Sponsons and extra armor

3 tac squads with heavy flamers and meltaguns

Baal Strike Force

Hq

Libby 115 points

Mk2 Libby with a jump pack and Galians Staff

Troops

2x Sniper Scouts 140 points

2 x Squads of 5x Sniper Scouts with Camo Cloaks

Elites

Death Company Dread 160 Points

W blood talons and a heavy flamer in a Drop Pod

Fast Attack

Assault Squad 100 Points

5 Assault Marines 1 w a melta 1 with a flamer

The theory

Turn 1 (is it better to not have the initiative in this?)

Scouts deploy to cover, and stay there. Hide, Scouts, Hide!

The Libby stays in reserves with the Assault Squad.

The formation comes flying way up the board.

The Dread Drop Pod Assaults without scattering (because of the formations rules) right on top of a valuable enemy target

Shooting happens

The dread assaults (formation rules again) valuable target on turn 1 hopefully does something good, or at least ties up said target.

Game plays out. Hopefully Assault Squad with Libby can come in turn 2 without scattering and get a charge off...

What do you think? My expectations are low, but I keep trying these things...

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Turn 2 for sure. You can force your opponent to back pedal but would be good to not lush planes out too far and think of the next turn when you place them. I find this my biggest mistake.

Interesting list:)

I recently picked up the Deathstorm campaign box so my Son could start his BA army( And I could get into nids of course,hehe) so we have been trying out BA at some low point games.So far I like them,they are similar to SW with both being assault based armies.One thing I especially like about BA is that many of their vehicle variants are fast.

One thing I would be a bit concerned about is it appears that you only have two very small ObjSec units in your scouts?..or does you formation dataslate have ObjSec troops in it?.I know that its not always an issue with everything scoring in 7th and many of the tournaments having missions that are rather light on objectives but it can certainly bite you in the end.I admit that my current army is featuring a lot of ObjSec units just for that very reason.

Actually Nathan,check out my updated blog,my list for next week is up there.We haven't played yet so if it looks like one you want to try out I should be there 5:30 or so..I think it would be a good game looking at your list:)

• Like 1

Well... Let's see... Basically, every attempt at a BA tactic I've run with the exception of a massive horde of Death Company has ended poorly. I've never had a squad of terms not be shot off the board in less than 2 turns, without doing about nothing, the average number of turns I get out of a 'fast tank' is 2 before it explodes.

I played Bryan, My Baal Pred made it about halfway across the board before he blew it away. It had full HP, he penned it and it blew up. It never got to shoot, if I recall correctly. He also shot my Storm Raven down the turn it came in.

For instance. Last game. Biggles is holding the relic with 5 bikes. I take a huge risk(?) and drop a Storm Raven into hover to give the 10 tacticals in it assault mode. I drop the marines (10 tacs with a Heavy flamer and melt) and I turn all the guns of both the Raven and the Marines on those five bikes. I do nothing. 8 bolt pistol shots, a melta and a HF + 2 huricane bolters, an assault cannon and a MM on the Raven and nothing gets past his jink save. I then charge him with all my Tacs. I don't hurt any of his bikes, he kills more than 50 percent of my squad who then breaks and runs. Next turn he kills my Raven with the bikes and wipes my remaining marines with a knight.

It's disheartening. It makes me want to play a defensive line- but BA don't really get that as an option- unless they ally up heavily, and frankly I'm pretty tired of buying models for this team.

Well... Let's see... Basically, every attempt at a BA tactic I've run with the exception of a massive horde of Death Company has ended poorly. I've never had a squad of terms not be shot off the board in less than 2 turns, without doing about nothing, the average number of turns I get out of a 'fast tank' is 2 before it explodes.

I played Bryan, My Baal Pred made it about halfway across the board before he blew it away. It had full HP, he penned it and it blew up. It never got to shoot, if I recall correctly. He also shot my Storm Raven down the turn it came in.

For instance. Last game. Biggles is holding the relic with 5 bikes. I take a huge risk(?) and drop a Storm Raven into hover to give the 10 tacticals in it assault mode. I drop the marines (10 tacs with a Heavy flamer and melt) and I turn all the guns of both the Raven and the Marines on those five bikes. I do nothing. 8 bolt pistol shots, a melta and a HF + 2 huricane bolters, an assault cannon and a MM on the Raven and nothing gets past his jink save. I then charge him with all my Tacs. I don't hurt any of his bikes, he kills more than 50 percent of my squad who then breaks and runs. Next turn he kills my Raven with the bikes and wipes my remaining marines with a knight.

It's disheartening. It makes me want to play a defensive line- but BA don't really get that as an option- unless they ally up heavily, and frankly I'm pretty tired of buying models for this team.

Yeah termies in most cases aren't that competitive it seems,ive the same problem with DA ones and I wont run the SW ones I have built.As for their "fast vehicle" feature,I think the main benefit is having Rhino`s and Razor`s be able to go 24" on turn one,also the" move 12" and shoot two weapons at full BS" is nice I suppose.

You played the Relic action spot on,just rolled poorly it seems,that kind of stuff happens to me all the time heh.

Short of Allies, BA are suffering from the same thing all assault based armies still do,that being the shooting..theres shooting when you get out of the transport,shooting when you say you are going to assault,and shooting while you run across the board to get the point were you are going to assault.Its not as bad now as it was in 6th edition but its sadly still and issue for full on assault builds.

edit..and I see that the formation does give ObjSec to those flyers and troops,,very nice!

I'm running out of hope for this army, but I've committed thus far.

So, this is what I'm thinking for 1700 point game.

Angels Fury Spearhead Force 1185 points

3 Storm Ravens with Hurricane Sponsons and extra armor

3 tac squads with heavy flamers and meltaguns

Baal Strike Force

Hq

Libby 115 points

Mk2 Libby with a jump pack and Galians Staff

Troops

2x Sniper Scouts 140 points

2 x Squads of 5x Sniper Scouts with Camo Cloaks

Elites

Death Company Dread 160 Points

W blood talons and a heavy flamer in a Drop Pod

Fast Attack

Assault Squad 100 Points

5 Assault Marines 1 w a melta 1 with a flamer

The theory

Turn 1 (is it better to not have the initiative in this?)

Scouts deploy to cover, and stay there. Hide, Scouts, Hide!

The Libby stays in reserves with the Assault Squad.

The formation comes flying way up the board.

The Dread Drop Pod Assaults without scattering (because of the formations rules) right on top of a valuable enemy target

Shooting happens

The dread assaults (formation rules again) valuable target on turn 1 hopefully does something good, or at least ties up said target.

Game plays out. Hopefully Assault Squad with Libby can come in turn 2 without scattering and get a charge off...

What do you think? My expectations are low, but I keep trying these things...

I think 1700 may be a bit low to make that formation super effective, but it's worth trying.  The value in that formation is the triangulation and the charges on the same turn as deep strike.  But you only have two units taking advantage of that rule.  If it doesn't work out, try it again at 1850.

Here is a rough sketch of my final 1850 list.

Final list (1847pts)
Blood Angels: Codex (2014) (Formation Detachment) (1185pts)
  • Formation (1185pts)
    • Angel's Fury Spearhead Force (1185pts)
      • Stormraven Gunship (235pts)

Extra Armour (5pts), Hurricane Bolter Sponsons (30pts), Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Twin-linked Multi-melta

Extra Armour (5pts), Hurricane Bolter Sponsons (30pts), Twin Linked Assault Cannon, Twin-linked Multi-melta

• Tactical Squad (160pts)

Heavy flamer (10pts), Meltagun (10pts), 9x Tactical Marine (126pts)

• Tactical Sergeant (14pts)

Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

Bolt Pistol, Chainsword

Boltgun, Chainsword

Blood Angels: Codex (2014) (Baal Strike Force) (662pts)
  • HQ (175pts)
    • Mephiston, Lord of Death (175pts)
  • Elites (269pts)
    • Death Company Squad (269pts)

8x Death Company Marine (160pts), Jump Pack (24pts), Plasma Pistol (15pts), Power Fist (25pts), Power Weapon (15pts), Thunder Hammer (30pts)

• Troops (168pts)
    • Scout Squad (84pts)

Camo Cloaks (10pts), Missile Launcher (15pts), Scout Sergeant (11pts), 4x Scouts (44pts), 4x Sniper Rifle (4pts)

• Scout Squad (84pts)

Camo Cloaks (10pts), Missile Launcher (15pts), Scout Sergeant (11pts), 4x Scouts (44pts), 4x Sniper Rifle (4pts)

• Fast Attack (50pts)
    • Drop Pod (50pts)

Deathwind Missile Launcher (15pts)

Theory stands with Drop Pod Assaulting on turn 1 - except this time I'm going to be dropping in Mephiston in a Pod. Second turn will be DC.

• Like 1

I think BA scouts with BP/CCW are the bee's knees.  Take advantage of Furious Charge instead of cowering like Ultramarines!  Also, Bright Red isn't good for hiding!  

Well, I've only tried this list a few times, but the scouts mostly act as *please don't table me!* markers if I choose to fly my ravens off the table on turn 2 before dropping the marines on the board.