what is the craziest odd thing you've seen?(good or bad)

My list for masters had the War Banner in it. I brought the same list to VoD, and the War Banner made the difference on a number of occasions. I had it in my Stormvermin. What I had found with that unit is that when they fought unsupported, I was often just losing by one or two (or winning by one or two). Of course, it helps that Skaven only pay 25 points for it - not sure I'd do it at 35!

Yeah, that's one of the reasons everyone had it.  There also just weren't that many cheap banners (not like today) and many magic banner allowances were 25 pts.  Couple all that with editions where combat res was the point and not just breaking Steadfast and the War Banner was pretty killer (although I don't remember it being anywhere near as prevalent as scrolls).

5 dark elf riders slamming into the flank of an ogre tyrant with ironguts. 90pts taking out 750+ VP he looked at the fight disbelieving that his fully kitted out Tyrant could fail him so badly then shook my hand saying "good game, I can't recover that." 2nd turn of the game. best unit of dark riders ever.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons everyone had it.  There also just weren't that many cheap banners (not like today) and many magic banner allowances were 25 pts.  Couple all that with editions where combat res was the point and not just breaking Steadfast and the War Banner was pretty killer (although I don't remember it being anywhere near as prevalent as scrolls).

In my 7th ed game group, every list had the war banner somewhere and everyone had the scroll caddy.