custom chapter and such

If playing with a homemade legion or the like, do you use that homemade chapter name for the legion keyword? Or are you supposed to use an existing chapter and be counts as?

Broke down and picked up the rules for this edition. That's my only question. Very clean and clear rules.

Space Marine Chapters, you can either do a Counts As, or be a Successor Chapter. In the latter case, you get access to the Chapter Tactics and Stratagem of the parent Chapter, but not the Special Characters or (I think) the Relic.

CSM Legions also have a third option, which is to use the Renegade Trait, which is primarily intended for forces that fell to Chaos after the Heresy, but can apply to any force that doesn't fit the mold of one of the 9 Traitor Legions.

• Like 1

Oh, and the big question, can my CSM list a loyalist chapter for their chapter allegiance?

For me, the most sensible chapter for my Smiling Skulls Space Marines is that they are CSM of the Ultramarines chapter (whom just happen to really like Khorne).

8 minutes ago, paxmiles said:

Oh, and the big question, can my CSM list a loyalist chapter for their chapter allegiance?

For me, the most sensible chapter for my Smiling Skulls Space Marines is that they are CSM of the Ultramarines chapter (whom just happen to really like Khorne).

Are you talking fluff wise or rule wise?  

9 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Are you talking fluff wise or rule wise?  

Is there a difference? That's what I'm confused on. I mean, provided my CSM are getting all their models from the Index: Chaos, then does my Legion/Chapter selection have any bearing on the rules other than to limit my access to special characters/wargear/legion rules? There might be some enemy models with rules that gain special bonuses against Ultramarines, and I'm fine giving them that, but beyond that, I can't figure out how it would impact the rules in a bad way. . 

"Fallen" is only a viable keyword for the two Datasheets that have it already. It cannot be used to replace <Legion>.

And the CSM are actually a bit different. They don't really have an option for "successor" Keywords like Loyalists do. It's either one of the 7 Legions in the book, or Renegades. I missed that when I was looking at it earlier. There's actually a list of the 8 valid options for the <Legion> Keyword in there.