FoW Blitz round tournament

barca

Some ideas worth pursing on smaller points, more rounds in FoW tournaments were discussed on this thread,

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/28226-the-rest-of-2016-input-on-fall-fow-tournament/

...and in e-mail, rec'd several suggestions for 4 or 5 round tournament

Discussion points:

1. ROUNDS:

1.a. 3

1.b. 4

1.c. 5

2. LENGTH OF ROUND:

2.a. 1hr+45 min

2.b. 2hrs

2.c. 2hr+15min

2.d. 2hr+30 min

2.e. Other length

3. POINTS: smaller points totals that the BF "standard" points levels:

3.a. 1000

3.b. 1300

3.c. 1500

3.d. Other points

4. PERIOD:

4.a. EW

4.b. MW

4.c. LW

5. TABLE SIZE: Tables could be

5.a. 4'x4'

5.b. 4'x5'

5.c. 4'x6'

6. MIN VIABLE NUMBER OF GAMERS:

7. NUMBER OF PRIZES depends on the number of participants

e.g., For 6 gamers have 3 prizes, for 8 gamer there are 4 prizes, etc.

8. PRIZES/AWARDS ideas

9. TIMING: Calendar dates?

10: Total Days:

10.a. One Day

10.b. Two Days

If you are so inclined, kick around the ideas here, propose something solid, and gauge the interest level.

I am willing to organize such a blitz format, but only if we could get 10 people to commit, or someone came up with sponsorship that would get prizes for a group of 6-8.

Some ideas worth pursing on smaller points, more rounds in FoW tournaments were discussed on this thread,

http://www.ordofanaticus.com/index.php?/topic/28226-the-rest-of-2016-input-on-fall-fow-tournament/

...and in e-mail, rec'd several suggestions for 4 or 5 round tournament

Discussion points:

1. ROUNDS:

1.b. 4

2. LENGTH OF ROUND:

2.a. 1hr+45 min

3. POINTS: smaller points totals that the BF "standard" points levels:

3.b. 1300

4. PERIOD:

4.b. MW

5. TABLE SIZE: Tables could be

5.c. 4'x6'

6. MIN VIABLE NUMBER OF GAMERS:

7. NUMBER OF PRIZES depends on the number of participants

7.a if possible, one prize per player. Prize can be as small as a GC to the hosting store, or a single blister.

8. PRIZES/AWARDS ideas

8.a Use a raffle. Each player gets one ticket. Each prize earns an additional ticket (best general, best painted, etc). Person can only win once regardless of how many tickets.

Prizes are on a table, when you win, you come up, pick your prize, and then you are done. This way, everyone goes home with something, and those that do well in the tournament have a better chance of getting something early.

9. TIMING: Calendar dates?

9.a September/October

If you are going to do a blitz round tournament, I would recommend the following format:

4 Rounds

2 hrs per round

1000 Pts

Late War

4'x4' Tables

This is an excellent format for people wanting to try out a new army, and for new players to get into a tournament, still 4 games in one day is brutal.  I think if you want to have multiple rounds in a tournament you should spread the tournament over 2 days.

Also I attended a tournament using the format I described above, and of my 4 games, 2 of them timed out, and there were several other games timing out.  None of my opponents were playing slow, but it just takes a while to roll all the dice, make movements, let alone think about what you are doing.  Anyways it was a fun tournament overall (I ended up killing 2 King Tigers in one of the rounds with one PIAT!).

• Like 1

Here is my experience and perspective on Schedule/month:

JUL: OFCC

AUG: Possible. Perhaps too soon after OFCC, but if someone else organized it, I would play. OFCC prob not drawing in all the local FoW gamers.  And some gamers going to OFCC are not doing FoW there (e.g., 40k)

SEP: Already lining up tourn for SEP. I am running this.

OCT: Possible. Might collide with with Tactical Solutions, in Spokane (7-9 OCT). I am going to T.S. (http://startroop.wix.com/tacticalsolutions )  If someone else organized the blitz tourn on diff wknd in OCT, I would play

NOV: Tanksgiving being set up.

DEC: bad month for organizing tournaments. Demos OK.

JAN: bad month for organizing tournaments. post-holiday burnout. Demos OK.

FEB: Nothing planned yet, might be good month. I would be willing to organize a tournament in FEB

MAR: Nothing planned yet, might be good month. I would be willing to organize a tournament in MAR

NOTE: If Mikhail or someone at OC&C, or the Game Matrix or Panzer Depot wants to organize a FoW tournament, I will do what I can to coordinate timing on events, and not schedule a major FoW event too soon before or after their event.

For schedule, OC&C opens earliest both SAT & SUN (10), while DA opens at 12. GG is in the middle: 10 and 12

Olympic Cards & Comics
Friday    10AM–12AM
Saturday    10AM–12AM
Sunday    10AM–6PM
Monday    10AM–9PM

Guardian Games
Friday    10AM–10PM
Saturday    10AM–10PM
Sunday    12–8PM
Monday    10AM–10PM
Tuesday    10AM–10PM

Dice Age Games
Friday    12–11PM
Saturday    12–11PM
Sunday    12–4PM
Monday    12–9PM

For drawing largest number of players, GG will prob get the most players.

DATES:

I think JAN is too soon after Xmas.

I propose FEB 18 & 19, SAT & SUN, President's Day Holiday.

Gamers with family activities still get the holiday (Monday) for family stuff.

Guessing that some bits of the NEW army come in around Xmas, then Tournament participants have 6 weeks to paint and practice, if ur starting from scratch.

If building on an existing core of the list, then creating/finishing 3 additional/new platoons in 6 weeks should be do-able.

Size. I like the idea of 1000, regardless of period.

In the examples below, each German list gets 4 platoons (2 TANK, 1 INF, 1 ARTY)

In EW, you also get the "signature German Blitzkrieg weapon" - the Stuka

At 1000 points, you have the core of a larger list, so could be a brand new army, or parts of an existing one.

Also, with 4 small platoons, you are more likely to get done in 2 hours.

EW, 1000 pts.

German Czech Panzer: Tank Company, from Blitzkrieg (4 platoons)
Compulsory Czech Panzer Company HQ -- CinC Panzer 35(t), 2iC Panzer 35(t)
Compulsory Panzer II Platoon -- Command Panzer II C (early), 2x Panzer II C (early)
Compulsory Czech Panzer Platoon -- Command Panzer 38(t) B, 2x Panzer 38(t)B
Schutzen Platoon -- Command Rifle/MG, 4x Rifle/MG, Light mortar, Kfz 15 field car, 3x Kfz 70 truck
Motorised Light Artillery Battery -- Command SMG, Staff, Observer Rifle, Motorcycle and sidecar, 2x 10.5cm leFH18 howitzer
Air Support -- Limited Ju 87B Stuka

MW, 1000 pts.

German Panzer (Africa) (15. Panzer), Tank Company, from North Africa (4 platoons)
Compulsory Panzerkompanie HQ (Africa) -- CinC Panzer III G/H/J (early), 2iC Panzer III G/H/J (early)
Compulsory Panzer Platoon (Africa) -- Command Panzer III G/H/J (early), 2x Panzer III G/H/J (early)
Compulsory Panzer Platoon (Africa) -- Command Panzer III G/H/J (early), 2x Panzer III G/H/J (early)
Afrika Scutzen Platoon (Africa) (15. Panzer) -- Command MG, Kubelwagen, 4x MG, 2x Kfz 70 truck
- Command Upgrade    Replace Command MG with Command Panzerknacker SMG
Motorised Artillery Battery (Africa) (15. Panzer) -- Command SMG, Staff, Observer Rifle, Kubelwagen, 2x 10.5cm leFH18 howitzer
- Half Tracks    Replace all Kubelwagen with Sd Kfz 250 half-track (only if 2x gun)
- Radio Truck    Kfz 15 field car, Kfz 68 radio truck, 3-ton truck per gun

LW, 1000 pts.

German Panzer: Tank Company, from Grey Wolf (4 platoons)
PanzerKompanie HQPanzerKompanie HQ -- CinC Panzer IV H, 2iC Panzer IV H
- Recovery Vehicle    Sd Kfz 9 half-track
Compulsory Panzer Platoon -- Command Panzer IV H, 2x Panzer IV H
Compulsory Panzer Platoon -- Command Panzer IV H, 2x Panzer IV H
Panzergrenadier Platoon -- Command MG, Kfz 15 field car, 4x MG, 2x Kfz 70 truck
- Command Upgrade    Replace Command MG with Command Panzerknacker SMG
- Transport Upgrade    Remove Kfz 15 field car and Replace all trucks with 3-ton trucks
Rocket Launcher Battery -- Command SMG, Observer Rifle, Kubelwagen, 2x 15cm NW41 rocket launcher
- Transport    Kfz 15 field car, Sd Kfz 11 half-track per gun
- Anti-tank    7.5cm PaK40 gun, Sd Kfz 11 half-track

I want to address the interesting outliers, like

• Beach assaults
  • Big airborne landings (Crete, Operation Neptune, Market Garden, Kanev-Bukrin)
  • Raids / Raiding Aces (Eben-Emael, Dieppe
  • City fights
  • Tank Aces, Infantry Aces, Mechanized Aces
  • Armored trains
  • Paritsans & Polizei
  • Mountain Operations
  • etc.

These themes might be better done outside of tournaments, as specially focused events, or short campaigns.

You could still make it competitive, but the draw is likely limited to 4-8 players

For these, you will prob get lots of spectators, if the terrain and promo are good.

At GG, we could ask them to play a relevant war movie during the event.

Now, if we wanted special stuff like this, in a tournament format, then a "Lend-Lease" style tournament might get us there...

This discussion would be a new thread...