WH40k: Eternal Crusade MMO

Dreg

Space Marine was fun. They made the levels too big, so you spent a lot of time walking and not killing nobs with a chain sword. Good plot and controls though. Id pay to play this, especially if it is planet side + 2 years of extra dev. Id be interested if they do anything squad based too, like an instance I can run with 5-10 friends. 

Space Marine was fun. They made the levels too big, so you spent a lot of time walking and not killing nobs with a chain sword. Good plot and controls though. Id pay to play this, especially if it is planet side + 2 years of extra dev. Id be interested if they do anything squad based too, like an instance I can run with 5-10 friends. 

The maps were excellent.  Devestators were able to set up, tac marines had to use cover while running up the middle/flanks/rear of the enemy, and assault marines did what they did best....take all the focus while closing in on the enemy.

Keep in mind this game is an MMO with dozens if not hundreds fighing over map objectives.Think Plantside 2 in the 40k Universe:)

Teamwork/group play will be essential for success.

I never played Space Marine but I think it was just a solo game?

Yeah, I understand what it is, but it doesn't look any different that Space Marine to me.  Even some of the icons are very similar.  Space Marine was a solo campaign with multiplayer options.  You got to set up and unlock options for....tactical marines, devestators, and assaults marines.  However, as this will most likely be a PC game only, I will not be purchasing it.

Actually its planned release date is 2015 on PC/Xbox one and Playstation 4:)

Also its going to be ftp with basic Ork boys being the "Free play" toons.The remainder of the Ork army along with the other 3 factions ,Space Marines,CSM and Eldar will be for subscription play.

Theres also going to be Terranids as the pve faction with solo or group play options against them.

Looks really bad for an MMO proof of concept. Nothing more than expanded counter-strike so far. Looks like a mod, not a game of it's own.

I'm also very disappointed with the idea of free-2-play being just one race, as all that means is that free-2-play gamers will have an intentionally unbalanced army to play. I suppose that's a bit better than past GW games, like their WHFB one which is unofficially unbalanced.

I do think the idea of intentionally having a particular faction being more player heavy is a good idea, but I doubt it would work in an MMO, especially in a pay-to-win one like this. Perhaps a company other than GW can get it to work, but they really aren't known for their ability to create original software products.

-Pax

EDIT: I am really curious, regarding this product, if you can use the 3d models of the PC game in a 3d printer to produce cheap GW models in any pose you want. I imagine the answer is yes, and I'll be curious how GW protects their investment.

Yeah im a bit worried about the ftp race being Orks as I would probably play Orks with a sub to try the game out as I usually do a few months to see if its gonna stick with me.But they say that the "Free" toons will be Ork boys only and it will take like 5 of them to kill one SM player...sounds to me like its a pay to play game with the "Free" part being just a sample play session.

As far as a MMO concept goes if they follow what Sony has done with Planetside and Planetside 2 over the years it should be a winning combo for a MMOFPS game.And if they build it with the four ingame factions(Ork,SM,SCM and Eldar) as being independent then it may even be more stable in the way of map balance than Planetside`s three factions.

But if they try the proven to fail method of having a MMO game focused on world PVP with only 2 factions then yeah I wouldn't count on it lasting long.

As far as a MMO concept goes if they follow what Sony has done with Planetside and Planetside 2 over the years it should be a winning combo for a MMOFPS game.And if they build it with the four ingame factions(Ork,SM,SCM and Eldar) as being independent then it may even be more stable in the way of map balance than Planetside`s three factions.

But if they try the proven to fail method of having a MMO game focused on world PVP with only 2 factions then yeah I wouldn't count on it lasting long.

I would trust sony to make a real game out of this. GW isn't the type of corporation to let another group have any say in their IP, which seems to be what kills these games. To make it work, they need to give up their IP enough to make a real game with originality and with a set of rules that makes sense for the platform. Very likely, we'll get a FPS/tabletop hybrid when what we need is just a FPS.

Oh, also, they'll probably make the game pg-13, rather than the R rated game that 40k's fluff needs if visually produced. Blood, sure blood, but no pain or hardship. This isn't about the grim darkness of war, this is about making war look really easy and cool to minors...

-Pax

• 7 months later...

I dont know what computer your using to watch this video. My opinion(i am aware this is an early look at the development.) it looks like feces. Are they using Quake II engine or Unreal III engine. This game looks good on a Intel pentium II. Look the gun has RECOIL. Wait brag about a mechanic that has been used since Counter Strike(half life) BETA.

I dont know what computer your using to watch this video. My opinion(i am aware this is an early look at the development.) it looks like feces. Are they using Quake II engine or Unreal III engine. This game looks good on a Intel pentium II. Look the gun has RECOIL. Wait brag about a mechanic that has been used since Counter Strike(half life) BETA.

That's pretty normal for an MMO. In general, MMOs have really horrid graphics when compared to similar non-MMO games. Video is also trying to show off game mechanics, not make it pretty, so having it look bad, but run very quickly is ideal.

That said, in all the previews so far, this particular game looks like unreal or quake, with a forced third person view and very lacking graphics. I'm not expecting innovation with a GW game.

I do hope I'm wrong here. I'd love GW to actually produce the MMO they said they'd create (this time...)