Sisters of Battle musings with Pretre (was 1750 OW list discussion)

pretre

I may be going to the 'Back to Basics' tourney on 2/8. If so, this is a probably my list (just because it is super basic and probably doesn't involve any new painting or assembly)

Uriah Jacobus
St Celestine
3 Priests (Litanies, 2 Power Mauls)
BSS (5) with Flamer/HF in Rhino
BSS (18) with HF/Flamer
Dominions (5) with 4 Melta in Rhino (Laud)
Exorcist
Exorcist
Retributors (7) with 4 Heavy Bolters, Simulacrum Imperialis
Bastion with Quad-Gun

http://www.tablewar.com/

Warning, they are not cheap. You're looking at 150-200 for the case and then need to get magnets or trays to do the rest. If you are local to me, you could do what I do and I'd help you out. I bought 4 of these: http://www.tablewar.com/diorama-tray/ and then laid magnetic sheeting down on top of them and glued it down. I have tons of magnetic sheeting, so you could drop down and we could probably hook it up in an afternoon.

Then you put magnets or washers on the bottom of your minis and they adhere to the sheeting. It is not foolproof (they will fall down with heavy bumps) but it is soooo much easier than packing and unpacking.

For my setup, I have...

the deluxe case: http://www.tablewar.com/display-tower-full-size-case-mark-ii-black-red-blue/

4 Trays: http://www.tablewar.com/diorama-tray/

Tooooons of washers from the hardware store for anything with a base (glue washer to underside of base)

A bunch of magnets for vehicles / forts

• Like 1

I may be going to the 'Back to Basics' tourney on 2/8. If so, this is a probably my list (just because it is super basic and probably doesn't involve any new painting or assembly)

Uriah Jacobus

St Celestine

3 Priests (Litanies, 2 Power Mauls)

BSS (18) with HF/Flamer

Dominions (5) with 4 Melta in Rhino (Laud)

Exorcist

Exorcist

Retributors (7) with 4 Heavy Bolters, Simulacrum Imperialis

Bastion with Quad-Gun

What does the Laud Hailer do?

Reroll faith checks within 6".

Basically, you have three options to increase the efficacy of faith in a unit:

Upgrade Sgt to a Veteran for +1LD: 10 pts

Simulacrum Imperialis (2nd faith check): 10 points

Laud Hailer on a nearby Vehicle (Reroll faith within 6"): 10 points.

IMO, Reroll is best, although it is also fragile.

I normally agree, but for the Dominions, you want it for that first turn scout punch (or second turn outflank punch).

Yep one and done! I tried out my sisters at a lower points value and had a blast like the new list i do. The Laud Hailer dominions are handy. The rest of the powers I thought were okay so didn't really worry about them working so I just went if they work they work and burned the attempt as soon as I could try it.

Acts of Faith are generally icing on the cake now. I completely agree.

I'm kind of worried about the statement for Celestine though. Celestine's power only works on your next turn. So if you kill her on your turn 2 (let's say you went first), he has to either try to bring her back up on his next turn (bottom of Turn 2) or not bring her up at all. The funny bit is that if he chooses not to bring her up at all, you can't get Slay the Warlord. That being said, she's not as bad as she used to be. She used to get up every turn as many times as you needed on a 4+. :)

I don't have enough meltaguns to run Melta Dominions, so I have 4 flamers in mine inside an Immolator and played some Tyranids last night.

My opponent's first question after I scout moved towards his winged Hive tyrant was are there meltas in there?

He didn't realize I was in range of a unit of termagaunts also... flamer hilarity on my turn! :biggrin:

Acts of Faith are generally icing on the cake now. I completely agree.

I'm kind of worried about the statement for Celestine though. Celestine's power only works on your next turn. So if you kill her on your turn 2 (let's say you went first), he has to either try to bring her back up on his next turn (bottom of Turn 2) or not bring her up at all. The funny bit is that if he chooses not to bring her up at all, you can't get Slay the Warlord. That being said, she's not as bad as she used to be. She used to get up every turn as many times as you needed on a 4+. :)

Yeah I screwed that up(I was the sisters player) but with her slip to the edge thing, to be away from enemy it was in his favor. I would have picked up a few more inches and been out of line of sight quicker (I just confused how you preserve the Slay the Warlord point) ... I was planning on coming clean soon on my rules error. First time out with the ladies in a long time.

• 2 months later...

Getting in a game again after quite some time against Mauz. Helping him prep for Guardian Cup, so 1850, maximum of 2 sources.

My List:

Uriah Jacobus
4 Priests (Litanies/Power Maul, Power Maul, 2 normal)
BSS (20) with HF/Flamer
Dominions (5) with 2 Melta/2 Flamer in Rhino (Laud, Dozer)
Dominions (5) with 4 Melta in TL-MM Immo
Dominions (5) with 4 Melta in TL-MM Immo
Exorcist
Exorcist
Exorcist
2 Vengeance Weapon Batteries (Quad-Icarus)

Something quick to work with. If I had the time, I'd probably do an AM/SOB list, but I'll go with this instead.

6 Rhino Chassis and 3 Exorcists and 2 AV14 buildings means a good saturation of armor that is hard to ignore.  You have a big, tough block of scoring sisters that can't be removed with shooting or close combat easily.  You have lots of little units that are big threats to certain things.  You have anti-air in the Icarii.  

It's very, very solid.  

Getting in a game again after quite some time against Mauz. Helping him prep for Guardian Cup, so 1850, maximum of 2 sources.

My List:

*deletia*

Something quick to work with. If I had the time, I'd probably do an AM/SOB list, but I'll go with this instead.

Hmmm. The Vengeance as an AA solution isn't bad, but why not go for a Firestorm Redoubt? It gives you somewhere to hide a squad if you want (and they can shoot), is only slightly more expensive, and for a small amount of extra points you can go to BS3 on the guns, which is a huge boost in accuracy. The Priests and Jacobus mostly hang out with the blob, I assume? Aside from that I'm not sure if there's much more you could do to improve it, since you're basically playing to all the strengths of a SoB list, such as they are.

Oh yeah, the Icarus is a free swap on the Vengeance, isn't it? Hrm. I still kinda feel like the Firestorm might be a better option (you could drop some Priests and/or other upgrades to get it) because I really don't trust BS2 autofire. Bringing a way to twin-link the Exorcists could also fill a similar role, I suppose.

Amusingly enough you were totally right about accuracy problems. My exorcist took down a scythe in our game and the two vengeance together killed two immortals and one scythe hull point. Probably priests would have been an easy drop for the points since the blob rampaged without priest casualties.