Instant death and weapons that don't wound against toughness

Another odd one. Got a local necron player. He's been using a cryptek with abyssal staff (near identical to the callidus assassin's neural shredder). He then attaches it to a unit of deathmarks. His, and my, understanding is that the cryptek can use the staff to wound on 2s against the marked target. This is because the cryptek is treated as an upgrade character for the unit.

Here's the issue:

Necron player is saying that the abyssal staff still using it's strength against toughness for the instant death threshold, as the BRB is specific that ID only matters strength (8) vs toughness and the abyssal staff only says to wound against toughness, not check for ID.

I could have sworn this one was FAQed, but we couldn't find it. Is there anything out there on this subject? Thoughts?

I'll admit, I mostly want to know because if my callidus IDs against toughness, even if she wounds against leadership, it does change how/if I use her.

-Pax

It's on pg. 5 of the Necron FAQ, second column, toward the bottom. You use the target's Ld to work out whether or not it causes Instant Death.

Q:When using an abyssal staff, do you use the target’s Toughness or Leadership for the purposes of working out if Instant Death applies? (p84) A:You use the target’s Leadership.

It's on pg. 5 of the Necron FAQ, second column, toward the bottom. You use the target's Ld to work out whether or not it causes Instant Death.

Thank you.

This necron opponent of mine, he's on another, necron only forum, and they keep giving him incorrect rules...

-Pax