New Warhammer Fantasy podcast

All,

If you listen to Warhammer podcasts, we've started one focused 100% on fantasy. We're based in Seattle, so we have a slight slant toward our local scene, but I think the content is of general interest to anyone who plays, and that's how we aim to keep it.

Please visit our iTunes page if you'd like to subscribe, or listen directly from our blog. Feedback welcomed! Episode 2 should be coming within the next week or so.

Thanks,

~gwh

• Like 1

im curious where people in Seattle play fantasy. Card Kingdom is not a great place for warhammer related stuff since they have few tables and mediocre terrain. The reason I ask is because I used to live and play in Seattle when there were a number of strong independent game shops, but I moved to Bellingham several years ago for school and have been out of touch with the scene.

I listened to most of it!  Overall pretty enjoyable to listen to but a lot of content that would be mostly relevant to Seattle-area gamers only (mostly about the SPDM tourney and rules).  Also the movement tray section was a bit of a letdown honestly.  I would have liked to hear details on how you guys build magnetic trays (I have a movement tray construction system of my own that I like really well, but am curious about others').  And having a good few specific examples for "above and beyond" (maybe a google search string or URL) would be cool.

One tip: if I google the suggested name "Ricky Fisher Night Goblins" I didn't get any relevant hits... I then tried Fischer and found it, so might wanna say "Fischer with a C".

And one small suggestion: even if you don't put chapter or bookmarks in the stream, you might want to put just a time stamp for each section in the written table of contents... it's a pretty long cast to have in one solid file with no bookmarks.

Nice job for a first go-round!  Thanks for sharing,

Nathan

Hello, 

I listened to your podcast last night.

Pro's:

1) I love the bookmarks. I wish more podcasts used them.

2) Good into and out. 

3) The hobby section was spot on with a great discussion

4) I liked the wandering tower scenario. :excl:  I am going to steal the idea and modify it for the next Ordo Escalation LEague this spring. :ph34r:

Con's

1) Sound quality. It is hard to hear several of the podcasters. It sounds like you have gathered around a lap top. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, apologies it took me so long to wander back here for the great feedback.

The first episode was definitely a learning experience for all of us - I think the discussion was quite stiff and wooden in places, we were all self-conscious of the mic, and the audio was terrible. We were all gathered around one microphone which was super-sensitive so we had to turn the lights mostly off so it wouldn't pick up the hum - if you listen carefully you can hear that the cable picks up the local talk radio news!

For Episode 2 I picked up about $500 of audio gear (4 new mics, stands, mixer) to try to improve the quality of the sound and it definitely has. However, I think it still isn't as loud as it should and I think that's a post-processing thing - I'm going to try some audio jiggery-pokery with Episode 4 to see if we can fix that.

By Episode 3 we were all feeling more confident in our topics, we prepared more, and had some new and interesting ideas for discussions (including our Celebrity Deathmatch-inspired intro - we had fun recording it, and it was short enough that most people seem to have enjoyed it).

Episode 4 is being recorded tonight. For hobby, we're discussing how to select the color scheme for your army (something 3 of us have done recently, and a request on our forum from a listener). Tactical discussion will be on Deathstars, and tournaments will include SPDM3's last scenario, US Masters and maybe a bit about GottaCon. I'm bummed that none of us made it down to the Black Sheep Brawl because I really want to start having a wider PNW feel to the podcast, and I want to get my ass kicked by people who aren't from Seattle ;-)

Anyway, thanks for listening! I'll make sure and come back more often to the forum.

~gwh

NtK: that's all good feedback, thanks!

I've started including links to everything in the blog post that doubles as the podcast release (aka the show notes). If I miss anything, please let me know via the blog, this forum/pm, our forum, Twitter (@CascadePodcast) or any other way you can think of that's easy for you :-)

Believe it or not, I had written down magnetized movement trays ahead of time and we just totally missed discussing it, partially because the microphone set up made it really hard to check my computer. We've resolved that now and I think the quality of our content has gone up because of it.

If there's particular topics you'd like our opinions on, please let me know! We're happy to make stuff up, but we're making this show for other people to listen to, so we're excited when people ask us for stuff :-)

Cheers,

~gwh

• 1 month later...

Episode 5 is out!

Topics this episode:

• The Pit: Belegar vs Chakax

• Two new Kickstarters

• SPDM 3 Tournament Pack

• US Masters and the NW Region

• Building buildings

• Mathhammer!

And the various links to things we mention

As always, please leave comments on the blog, in the forum or via Twitter. Looking for suggestions on topics for Hobby Horse, Art of War and anything else you're interested in, as well as ideas for who should be next contender in The Pit!

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...