Good freehand tips/tutorials?

PourSpelur

Trying to put some mutant pin up girls on the side of my Leman Russes and not having great success. Anyone found a good tutorial? Most that I've found boil down to "be real good at drawing and then paint like you'd draw it". I don't expect an easy button and know that it's probably just one of those things where natural talent and practice are needed but a good beginner's tut would really help.

Thanks!

Trying to put some mutant pin up girls on the side of my Leman Russes and not having great success. Anyone found a good tutorial? Most that I've found boil down to "be real good at drawing and then paint like you'd draw it". I don't expect an easy button and know that it's probably just one of those things where natural talent and practice are needed but a good beginner's tut would really help.

Thanks!

Easiest is a printer, scissors and glue....No talent required, just find the mutant babe on google images, shrink to the size you need and print.

But if not, try doing on paper until you can get it "good enough" every time. Penciling it out on a white section of the tank can also be a good call.

-Pax

Hadn't considered printing a transfer. That's what you're talking about, right? Anyone tried a big transfer like that? Know an easy way to do one without a printer at home, Kinko's maybe?

The difficulty really becomes that if you are putting it on an uneven surface (like the side of a Russ) you will either have to use a ton of Microsol or cut it into pieces and put them on separately.

Oh, and as for freehand, my best advice is to do it in pencil first, and get it just how you want it, then add paint by blocking in main colors, and then shading.

If you are not good at drawing in general, than shrinking images and tracing, or using old grid-style copying can work. You can shrink an image, then print on normal printing paper, then rub the side of your pencil on the back of the paper, like you are doing an etching, plenty thick; after that, cut the paper to just a small border around the image, tape it in place on the side of the vehicles, then trace over the image with a mechanical pencil. When you remove the paper, you should have a faint carbon outline to work with, which you can darken and elaborate on.

Hadn't considered printing a transfer. That's what you're talking about, right? Anyone tried a big transfer like that? Know an easy way to do one without a printer at home, Kinko's maybe?

Well, I was thinking regular paper, but decals could work too. I've heard of good results using a regular printer to this effect. You might touch up the finished product with minor paint, but once a glaze is put over it, it becomes very difficult to distinguish as not free hand work, especially if small scale. Had a regular opponent that did this for shields on his dwarves (spellcheck really hates this game, doesn't it?).

I've also heard of good results on clear plastic-paper (lithographic?) for stain glass windows and windshields.

Banners too (regular paper).

As for the girl on the tank, I was thinking you wanted it to look like a poster that was stuck to the tank, so the printer method seemed best. Now, I think you meant a girl on the barrel or some other uneven surface. Two choices there, free hand or putting a extra armored flat "plate" on the tank that the paper can be flatly glued to. Doesn't need to be too flat, a corner or evenly rounded surface would be fine, but the little bumps and ridges are going to mess you up.

-Pax