Understanding Haywire weapons?

So, as I read it, roll to hit and armor pen as per the weapon profile, then a separate roll for the haywire? This means that the haywire isn't affected by saves as they just require a hit, right?

Also, haywire functions against buildings, right?

-Pax

So, as I read it, roll to hit and armor pen as per the weapon profile, then a separate roll for the haywire? This means that the haywire isn't affected by saves as they just require a hit, right?

Also, haywire functions against buildings, right?

-Pax

I could be wrong, but haywire are only strength 1, but that might be poison.

Depends, I'm assuming you are talking about close combat, haywire grenades can also be thrown, and cover saves cannot be taken in close combat, but if the vehicle has an invulnerable save, war walkers, venoms etc, then the vehicle will get it's invul save.

Only if a 6 is rolled, as buildings don't have hull points 2-5 won't be affective

That's my best IIRC on the subject

I could be wrong, but haywire are only strength 1, but that might be poison.

Depends, I'm assuming you are talking about close combat, haywire grenades can also be thrown, and cover saves cannot be taken in close combat, but if the vehicle has an invulnerable save, war walkers, venoms etc, then the vehicle will get it's invul save.

Only if a 6 is rolled, as buildings don't have hull points 2-5 won't be affective

That's my best IIRC on the subject

Haywire grenades are S2, but the haywire blaster (DE) is S4. Some of the FW weapons have high strength and haywire too.

Talking about both range and assault due to the odd wording of the haywire rule. As worded the haywire effect is resolved if the attack hits, but unlike poison, the haywire effect is in addition to the haywire's weapon profile.

Just making sure buildings aren't immune, for some reason. Seems like a concrete pillbox wouldn't really be affected, but that's realism in 40k...I will note that glances cause auto-wounds to models inside a building, so if haywire grenades glance on 2-5, that means that a big squad with haywire has pretty solid odds of damaging the squad inside, even if they fail miserably to damage the building itself.

-Pax

The phrase "rather than rolling Armour Penetration normally" suggests strongly to me that it replaces the usual Roll. Since there are no other exceptions, everything else (like Cover) would work normally. The Strength value is for if you're shooting them at something with a Toughness value for whatever reason.

Haywire works just fine on Buildings, as you use the Vehicle Rules when shooting at Buildings, other than where specifically exempted, and there is no exception for Haywire.

• Like 1

The phrase "rather than rolling Armour Penetration normally" suggests strongly to me that it replaces the usual Roll. Since there are no other exceptions, everything else (like Cover) would work normally. The Strength value is for if you're shooting them at something with a Toughness value for whatever reason.

Haywire works just fine on Buildings, as you use the Vehicle Rules when shooting at Buildings, other than where specifically exempted, and there is no exception for Haywire.

Awesome, thanks.

-Pax