Can you charge a quad gun?

busbina

Two different weapons, 3 ways to handle it, all vague rules.

The quad guns built into the buildings and the quad guns built into the ground are the two weapon types.

Ones on the ground are T7, 2 wounds, and 3+ armor. You can totally engage them in assault if manned, just charge the manning unit, and they're basically part of that same charge. You can also opt to not engage the gun during this charge, as if you think you can kill the manning unit, the value of destroying the gun goes down.

Ones on the ground, but unmanned are neutral, so aren't eligible targets for shooting or charges because they aren't enemy models. If you move into base contact, they are yours.

In both cases, the ones on the ground are never able to auto-fire. Only the guns built into the buildings can do this.

As I read it, when built into a building, the guns are like the guns on a vehicle, you need to roll on the building damage table to damage them in an indirect manner, so you need to assault the building itself. If the building is unoccupied, merely by being on the battlements, it's your building...

-Pax

It's really not clear at all. My guess would be that no, you can't- it says you can direct attacks against it, but there's nothing giving you permission to actually charge it. (This would mean that you would have to engage another enemy unit, presumably the one manning it, and them aim some of your attacks at it- remember, since it's not an enemy unit, you are allowed to move into base contact with it via pile-in moves.)

I think Pax has a pretty good handle on it, having it drop to neutral once no one is manning it seems like a way to run it. Anything with assault move could shoot with it, then jump away so no one could target it. But I don't think there is away way to run it with out creating some kind of weird rule issue.

I think Pax has a pretty good handle on it, having it drop to neutral once no one is manning it seems like a way to run it. Anything with assault move could shoot with it, then jump away so no one could target it. But I don't think there is away way to run it with out creating some kind of weird rule issue.

(talking about the guns not built into buildings)

Although something with an assault move could "hop" away to avoid targeting limitations, it does mean that their enemy could snag it during their turn and create a larger issue. It means that the hopping model can't claim the 4+ cover for being behind the gun (see BRB). And it also means that the model can't use the weapon as an interceptor weapon.

In addition, you can still hit it with blast weapons either because of scatter or because the blast is so large, it covers the gun even after the assault move (remember you can include them in the blast radius so long as you don't target them specifically and they aren't currently a friendly model).

In terms of quad gun solutions, easiest method to destroy them is poisoned/grav/sniper weapons. They have no special immunity to these weapons and only 2 wounds. Krak missiles work great too. Remember that even when manned, you can still target the gun as it's own unit, so there really isn't a way to protect them beyond toughness, saves and void shields.

If unmanned, just DS near them, run to base contact and use them against the enemy. Just need a single model in base contact and you can ruin their reserves before they can really do anything about it. Unmanned turrets are really a liability for your army.

-Pax