Ongoing one-shot

Darthweasel

Weird question here. Through the years I have played 40k long enough ago that I remember one-shotting my poor brothers' Imperial Guard tank with a handful of dice including several that were not 6-siders...took a bunch of years off, came back and there were all sorts of new armies like Tau, Tyranids, Dark Eldar and what have you, amassed a collection but then we started a remodel and the edition changed.

Getting set to start back up but it will be very casual play...I will be supplying armies for any and all who play, the games will be in my living room or music room and be based on models I have. Over the years I have picked up:

a decent number of Space Marines Smurf Blue

Space Wolves

enough whichever Angel army is Green and Bone White

Eldar

Tau

Chaos Space Marines

to have decent size armies, and smaller amounts of randomly colored marines, Necrons, Orks that they could play small games.

When it comes to the fluff, really don't care all that much, I am not as enamored of it as the truly hardcore. At the risk of losing all credibility, I just like the game system and playing with toy soldiers and vastly prefer this to any of the alternatives I have played.

So with the background out of the way, here is the question:

Knowing the games will be casual, rare enough we will probably spend time looking up rules too often, is it worthwhile to get the codexes as they come out or is something like this best done by just getting the "total reset" books they released?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For your case- I'd just buy the Index books.

The Codex books will add a bit of diversity in rules to their specific armies (new spells, special weapons, maybe some slightly changed points values) but they certainly aren't totally necessary to play the game in the environment you intend to play in- and will probably just add more rules to look up in more books.

• Like 3