Yarb's Slow Grow League Blog Thing

Yarbicus

Recently started my first real league and my first games since 6th ed.  Thought I would use this space to document my progress.

The first week was 500 points and each week we add 250.  I am playing Imperial Fists, an army I actually started during 7th but never got around to playing.

Week One

Lieutenant
5 Sniper Scouts
5 Tac Marines w/ML
6 Tac Marines w/HB
5 Jump Marines
Razorback w/HB

So, in other words, an army that was good at pretty much nothing but dying.  I played against Kremmet’s Orcs:

Big Mek (?) guy with force field
3 Killer Kans
Big a$$ unit of Boyz (20? 30?)

I was tabled.  I just could not do enough damage and ended up only killing 2 Boyz in 5 turns.  Learned a lot though:

-assault gets significantly better the more bodies you have (4 attacks each?!?!?!?)
-if you are going to shoot, you better have a lot of shooters
-I definitely feel more comfortable with larger units

• Like 3

Week Two

Captain w/Plasma Pistol and PSword
Lt. w/Chainsword and MC Boltgun
5 Sniper Scouts
7 Tac Marines w/flamer
7 Tac Marines w/flamer
5 Devs w/2 Lascannon and 2 HB
8 Sternguard w/HFlamer and 2 CombiMelta

I was able to get in two games last night:

The first game was against Blood Angels

Capt.
Sang Priest
6-7 Sniper Scouts
6 Death Company
Dread w/A$$cannon and ML
2 RBacks w/Lascannons

Yes, I got tabled again but felt much better about my performance.  My first big mistake was putting my Devs and Scouts where they could wiped out on the first turn.  I keep forgetting that Heavy Weapons can now move and shoot.  I actually made it to turn 6 this time.

Second game was against Marines.  Basically, his list was all of the Primaris Marines from the starter box.

He was not just new to 8th, we was pretty new to minis games in general.  I tabled him by turn 4.

Things I learned:

-MC and Special Issue Bolters rock!
-I love the Sternguard. 
So flexible.
-Now that everyone can split fire, have a mix of high rate of fire and multiple wound weapons in the Devs worked great.
-I like the IDEA of Flamers more than the REALITY of Flamers.
-The Imperial Fist specific Strategem is awesome.

Questions:

-Can you really fire EVERY weapon you carry if you are in range?  For instance, your model has a Bolter and Bolt Pistol and you are at <12” range.
-Any advice about transports?  I am still a bit hesitant to use them.

Week three is 1000 points.  Considering just adding more bodies and some Rhinos…but I really want to add my Assault Termies.

• Like 4

Hey Yarb, I definitely enjoyed our game (it was 30 boyz, BTW)! Something to remember is that low-point games tend to skew results a lot harder than the 1500–2000 range  so getting tabled would've likely been the result no matter what there.

-Can you really fire EVERY weapon you carry if you are in range?  For instance, your model has a Bolter and Bolt Pistol and you are at <12” range.

Yes, but grenades and pistols are different. You can fire every non-pistol/grenade weapon you have OR all pistols OR throw a grenade (one grenade per unit).

-Any advice about transports?  I am still a bit hesitant to use them.

All the SM transports are pretty solid outside of the Drop Pod (seems too expensive for what it provides). I personally like Rhinos as they give you a little bit of security from alpha strikes which is important in low-point games, but they all have their uses.

• Like 3