What marine chapter is next?

10 members have voted

1. 1. How should I paint my newer marine models?

• Find a new cannon chapter and paint it.
    • Continue Painting the marines as Exorcists Space marines, despite the vast number already owned.
    • Make a Custom Chapter for the new marines.

Keep getting more marines, re-painting old ones and trading for others. Wondering if I should start a new painting theme for my newer models, given that my current number of Exorcist SM far exceeds the number I will use in most apocalypse levels of gaming.

huh...only a vote so far...might not be specific enough of a question.

If I did a cannon chapter, I'm presently looking at the Invaders (Imperial Fist Successor), the Death Spectres (Raven Guard Successor), and Black Templars (Imperial Fist Successor). Rainbow Warriors (Ultramarine Successor) could be fun, if only for their unusual paint scheme.

For a non-cannon chapter, been considering a force of "narcolepsy marines..." A loyalist chapter that has a mutation where they just fall asleep at random times. In addition, marines would be in a suspended animation while sleeping, so the marines would live a good deal of time, even if mistaken for statues often enough. Could make for a fun army to model, as you'd have some of the models in clean armor, while other models may have moss growing on them, pigeon poop, or graffiti... Not sure on parent chapter, logo, or chapter name, though something to do with gargoyles would be fitting.

Hmm...Well, I found in the bits bin at GG, two FW chaos drop pods (Dreadclaw). Yeah, couldn't believe it. Both are battered pretty bad, probably just from being in that bin. Cost was roughly the same as new GW pods, but I've desired these for a very long time. A very awesome find.

So, I'm probably going to be doing a CSM chapter, likely Thousand Sons or a custom one. That said, I have no idea what to do with the pods. I could field them as "rhinos" or "Hell Drakes" in a CSM army. I could go with C:SM and field them as pods. It'll be count's as either way I do it...I really wish GW had CSM pods in their codex, but I'm not the only one been wishing that for some time. I suppose I could just use them as a display piece for CSM army, but that seems pretty sad too. Suggestions welcome on this end.

Anyway, those models are about half way submerged in simple green right now. That'll give me time to think on what to do with them.

Hmmm....want to do both thousand sons and black templars.... How wrong is it to make an army that I can alternate fielding as black templars and tzeentch CSM? I may go the custom chapter route....

Pax- why not field them as soul drinkers. They were thought to be IF gene seed (spoiler alert: nope) great psykers tons of mutants. Always were on crusade until the all died. So totally psyker Templars.

I dislike their paint theme, but they'd otherwise work. They look too much like Emperor's Children (of which I have many, but no longer enjoy playing or painting).

Been thinking it would be best to do a renegade/excommunicated custom chapter. Then I can have some units be "allied" forces from another chapter for when I want a more specialize look.

On the other hand, alpha legion would also work very well, both instead of the custom CSM chapter and for a custom SM chapter (because they have a covert element that wouldn't be above disguising as a loyalist chapter). Heck, could model the entire army as Alpha Legion disguised as Black Templar Marines... Alpha legion would also be an easy one to add small units of other chapters (like thousand sons).

Wouldn't Alpha Legion be more along the line of Raven Guard tactics the Black templars?

Was thinking that too.

Anyway, started painting. I'll be painting them as pre-heresy Alpha Legion for the initial batch, then I'll make some cloaks as a separate piece that mostly covers their armor with the chapter logo of a loyalist chapter (undecided). That's the plan anyway.

Edit: Here:

150px-Alpha_LegionPH.jpg

Wouldn't Alpha Legion be more along the line of Raven Guard tactics the Black templars?

Started thinking about it more. RG are about surprise attacks, which isn't really the alpha legion style exactly. Alpha Legion does do surprises, but they specialize in unconventional attacks more that just surprises. I fear that the RG chapter tactics would lean me towards a certain style of play, which seems unfluffy.

I am considering ultramarines chapter tactics with Sicarius leading them. Seems like between the two, I could make some really unconventional SM armies. Ultramarines are also an easy one for the disguise theme, as the alpha legion is already blue base, so the "disguise" really only needs to cover the shoulder pad with the chapter logo on it.

I do need to make a point to not include upgrades that CSM don't have access to. I want to be able to WYSIWYG most of the models in the army while allowing them to swap between the two books.

Thanks for the impute to all, I'm really getting excited about this project.

Started thinking about it more. RG are about surprise attacks, which isn't really the alpha legion style exactly. Alpha Legion does do surprises, but they specialize in unconventional attacks more that just surprises. I fear that the RG chapter tactics would lean me towards a certain style of play, which seems unfluffy.

I am considering ultramarines chapter tactics with Sicarius leading them. Seems like between the two, I could make some really unconventional SM armies. Ultramarines are also an easy one for the disguise theme, as the alpha legion is already blue base, so the "disguise" really only needs to cover the shoulder pad with the chapter logo on it.

I do need to make a point to not include upgrades that CSM don't have access to. I want to be able to WYSIWYG most of the models in the army while allowing them to swap between the two books.

Thanks for the impute to all, I'm really getting excited about this project.

You need to read deliverance if you think the alpha legion isn't exactly like RG in some ways.

Spoiler alert:the fooled a whole legion and a primarch at being RG.

You need to read deliverance if you think the alpha legion isn't exactly like RG in some ways.

I may have to read that one.

Hmmm...well, RG maybe in fluff, but I'm going ultramarines for rules. Those RG chapter tactics are horrible for 40k, they don't really allow the RG to behave very true to their fluff.