Terrain and Charging

If a terrain feature is higher than 1" from the ground level, and the entire surface of the terrain feature is filled with guys, can you successfully charge them at all? 

For example, there's a small hill, just over 1" tall. The guardsmen are densely packed on the hill so that their are no spot on the hill to allow enemy models to be placed, and are about to be charged by CSM Raptors (Jump Infantry). Since measuring is measured from base to base, are the raptors legally able to succeed in their charge, given that any charge result will have the model's base being unable to get within 1" of an enemy model's base due to the height of the hill? 

Or is vertical distance not used when determining melee range? 

So are all these corner case, slight manipulation and interpretation of the rules actually coming up in games? 

Or are you just reading the rules and coming up with rules questions?

Pretty sure, like 95%, that you can indeed attack those models. I think you measure vertically when measure into and out of terrain levels.

21 minutes ago, SPaceORK said:

So are all these corner case, slight manipulation and interpretation of the rules actually coming up in games? 

Or are you just reading the rules and coming up with rules questions?

Pretty sure, like 95%, that you can indeed attack those models. I think you measure vertically when measure into and out of terrain levels.

The example I used above is more clear cut than what occurred in game, since good examples keep people on topic. This sort of thing has happened ingame for me, though that exact example is just an example. 

As for other posted questions, some are related to games, others are just reading rules. Usually I'll be doing something unrelated and a question will pop into my head and if I can't think of the answer, I post the question (or I forget about the question and don't post it).