Updated Slayer OFCC list

Okay, I give in to the pressure.  I will figure out how to paint these guys on time.

1.  I  dropped the Truthsayer.  Not being able to take wild form seriously hurts his ability to be useful all the time, and with only three spells it is difficult to bait at 2800 points. 

2.  I love the Carmine Dragon, it is far from broken but is very effective and was my best utility unit, but he is also the reason I don't see myself having time to finish this army as I will have to experiment a lot to paint this model right, and time is something I don't have right now.  Plus he is so bloody expensive, and cool, that I don't want to screw it up.

So here is the updated list, although I think this list has a lot of weaknesses, and I really will be playing for the tie more times than not.   It does have some tricks, but it is more about not loosing than it is about winning, but hopefully with some practice I can get it functional. 

I'm getting so frustrated with the crossbows that I'm considering trading them straight across for longbeards with great weapons.  Even when I have 23 of them firing, I can barely peel off one or two models.

I gotta say, I would like this list more if special characters were allowed, the Slayer King would be an awesome addition, and he would without doubt be an auto include.  

Lords:

Daemon Slayer
Rune of Arlic the Mad (no armour saves allowed)
Rune of Furry (Extra attack)
Rune of Parring (-1 to hit him)

Heroes:

Runesmith (General) 
Shield
Rune of Stone (total armour save is a 2+)
Rune of Furnace (2+ ward vs flaming) 
2x Runes of spell breaking (a single dispel scroll that destroys the target spell on a 4+)

Runesmith
Shield
Rune of Stone 
2x Runes of spell breaking 

Dragon Slayer
2 runes of fire (flaming attacks and a strength 4 flaming breath weapon)
ASF rune

Dragon Slayer
2 runes of fire (same as above)
Rune of parrying (-1 to hit him in hand to hand)

Dragon Slayer
2 runes of fire (same as above)
Hits everything on a 2+

Core:

23 Crossbows
Great weapons
Full Command

23 Crossbows
Great weapons
Full Command

Special:

20 Slayers
Vanguard

20 Slayers
Vanguard, MR 1

20 Slayers
Slowness, MR 1

Rare:

Goblin Hewer  (this thing sucks compared to the organ gun, but it is a fluffier choice and it is already nearly painted)

5 Scouts with Musician

Here is a list I like better.  It makes my two core units Immune to psych and stubborn (more like slayers) and it gives my shooting the ability to deal with ethereal and those pesky 1+ armour save monsterous cav.  Plus it feels like this list has more utility and pushes more toward being even keeled where list 1 was very subpar, more of a 2 rating, where this would be closer to that magic 3 (I hope).  

Heroes: 

Runesmith

shield

stone

spell breaking

Furnace

Runesmtih

shield

stone

spell breaking

Dragon Slayer

2 fire

ASF

Dragon Slayer

2 fire 

Parry

Dragon Slayer

2 Fire

1 Initiative 

Master Engineer

Pistol

Stone

Impact hits

Core:

23 Longbeards

Shields

FC

Stubborn, MR 1

23 Longbeards

Great weapons

FC

Subborn

Special:

20 Slayers

FC

Vanguard

20 Slayers

FC

Vanguard and MR 1

20 Slayers

FC 

Slowness

Rare:

5 Scouts

I have two goblin Hewers, so I could paint both and use them as organ guns which I like

1 Organ gun

Penetrating

1 Organ gun 

Accuracy

Forging

Second list seems like a blast to play against.  I wish I owned the Slayers to spam them like that.  The only thing I'd worry about is that the 5 Rangers aren't going to do much without any buddies backing them up.  I'd almost say drop em for sabertusks and just make up some slayer hunting hounds to make it match the theme as you'll get better redirecting out of them (plus the idea of slayers having a few hounds about to flush out beasties seems rather fluffy to me along with being a neat modeling opportunity).

I so like the idea of having dogs for slayers that is awesome!  However, the scouts are there to ensure I get my vanguards with the slayers.  Scouts deploy before vanguards, and so can clear the way making sure I can get in there.  In my test games, if I lose the vanguard move first role, my 70 points in runes is waisted and my slayers get pinned and I have to inch my way forward with my slow movement.