Vanguard vet loadout

Bigjohn792

Hello all, I received 10 Vanguard vets in a trade a while back. They came with dual LCs. Which makes them look awesome but crazy expensive. So I've been tossing around a few ideas. Ill either run them as Senenals or ally them as Raven guard. What do you all think?

10x Dual LC, 6 melta bombs = 550 points. Just pure melee slaughter. 3 attacks on the charge and have HoW. but reroll failed wounds. Maybe take them as raven guard with shrike. But it's A lot of points

10x Bolt pistol/Grav pistol = 340 10 gunsligers with jump packs? Sounds epic to me. They still get 4 attacks on the charge and have HoW. Plus they should shred stuff in the shooting phase. I'll take a cheap hq with these if I ally them in.

10x Bolt pistol/ Chainsword 6 melta bombs= 250. These are stock. 4 attacks on the charge and have HoW. They have a little shooting. I'll take a cheap hq if I ally them.

I'd toss in at least a couple of Storm Shields. They can get them relatively cheaply, and with good positioning and a bit of luck, a couple of them can weather what they'll need to.

Maybe a couple of Power Axes or something, so you've got some AP2 that's usable against stuff besides Vehicles/MCs.

No matter what you do, tho, they're going to be overpriced. Not saying don't take them, just be aware of that.

10x Dual LC, 6 melta bombs = 550 points. Just pure melee slaughter. 3 attacks on the charge and have HoW. but reroll failed wounds. Maybe take them as raven guard with shrike. But it's A lot of points

Dual LC should be 4 attacks on the charge.  With HoW with shred (essentially), they will figuratively shred most basic infantry.  Things is, for 550 pts that's an absurd amount of points to spend for something that will work less effectively (most likely) than 3 Thunderfire Cannons.  Also, you'd probably want to put a Chaplain in there to get those to-hit re-rolls.  What's sad is that you can get almost the same bang for your buck with a single Power Maul at a MUCH reduced points cost (not that I truly advocate that route either).  

To whit, if all 10 of those Vets got into melee on a charge with re-rolls from chaplain they'll kill 15 MEqs or any T4/WS4 model with 3+ or less armor.  If 40 vets with power mauls assault they'll do 25 casualties against 4+ armor or less and then 8 against 3+ saves.  So, substantially MORE damage vs 4+ and 2+ enemies, and about half as much vs 3+ but at 150 pts less.  :D

Guest Mr. Bigglesworth

Chap is key if going for point sink. If you go full ten you need some ap 2 and high str to prevent being bogged down. Melta bombs might be enough.

Dual pistol is great but that any shots likely could shoot you out of charge range so migh want to limit.

I use vanguard vet as honour guard remove the jump packs, and kit them out with power weapons and pistols.

Honour guard are cheaper and can shred most units. I found a 7 man squad and the company banner is a real beat stick. Add in a chaplain or run it with the chaptermaster. I have found that to be a winning unit, always has worked for me.

My 2 cents

TW Haines

10x Bolt pistol/ Chainsword 6 melta bombs= 250. These are stock. 4 attacks on the charge and have HoW. They have a little shooting. I'll take a cheap hq if I ally them.

I actually think this is a great unit in 7th.  Split it up into two units and each is a threat to either vehicles or else infantry.  Marines have enough other answers for MCs.