pretre's 7th Musings - SW Page 1 - IG start Page 2

pretre

Okay, so Mauz and I are going to play our first game of 7th this weekend. No idea what he's bringing, but I've been noodling a very 5th edition list for my first game.

Wolf Lord (SS/WC, Wolftooth, Wolftail, Thunderwolf, 2 Fenrisian Wolves)

Rune Priest (ML2)

Grey Hunter 1 (5 GH, MG, Razor with TLP/Las)

Grey Hunter 2 (5 GH, MG, Razor with TLP/Las)

Grey Hunter 3 (10 GH, 2 Plasma, Mark, Standard, Rhino)

Grey Hunter 4 (8 GH, Flamer, Mark, Standard, Rhino)

Thunderwolf with CCW/SS

Long Fangs x5 (4 ML)

Long Fangs x5 (4 ML)

Bastion with Quad

So anyways. Bastions worth it nowadays? I'm trying to get Biomancy on the RP for Endurance on the Lord. Failing that, Biomancy isn't horrible. He can either walk with the 10 man squad if he gets buffs (since you can't cast out of the vehicle) or ride with the 8 if he gets witchfires.

Looks a little weak vs av14 heavy armour like landraiders and russ tanks. Not alot of bodys with the  hq being as as many points as it is thunderwolf wolf lord is solid but expensive. Thunderwolf cav are good, but whats there function a shield and a ccw its going to go down to mass bolter fire or in cc with a squad of troops. Sadly the troops will be a cheaper buy. My opinion is that thunder wolf cav hardly make there points back unless its as a fire magnet.

I like the Hunter squads, I been thinking of adding in razorbacks in myself but cant find the points with all the other shiny toys out there.

Long fangs are always a good buy! I cant see any reason to play wolves without them. I like to mix in a few lascannons for a better punch on av13-14, but its expensive. The ML will knock out transports and infantry well, but thats the job of the gray hunters and the wolflord.

Common thing I've seen in 7th and I use it to is to run a landraider or 2 and a thunderfire cannon. Cannon will beat on your long fangs making it real hard to get a ap14 kill outside of cc.

Not that its worth to much but thats my 2 cents

TW Haines

Well you see the weaknesses that the important part. Watch out for any melta's getting in close to that baston if you look at the building damage chart it can go down hard if your not carefull.

Yes  :biggrin:   a lord on a wolf, fun as heck and a good good beat stick. At 1500 points you, wont see 1 land raider or flyer at most.

Solid list

TW Haines

The Bastion as a defensive structure is still pretty decent (if a little bit weaker due to having HP now), but the Quad Gun/Icarus options became a lot weaker with the changes to how Skyfire/Intercept work now. Remember you can shoot six guns out the front of a Bastion (two fire points at the top, one at the bottom) plus work the Heavy Bolter if you want, so maybe bump one of those Long Fang units up. I'm not wholly sure what your plan for the HQs is- you can't cast powers from inside a tank/fort and you only have one TWC to hang out with.

Rhinos are great, but the LasPlas is a bit fragile for my tastes these days- if anything, I would go with the HB Razor just to save some points.

The Bastion as a defensive structure is still pretty decent (if a little bit weaker due to having HP now), but the Quad Gun/Icarus options became a lot weaker with the changes to how Skyfire/Intercept work now. Remember you can shoot six guns out the front of a Bastion (two fire points at the top, one at the bottom) plus work the Heavy Bolter if you want, so maybe bump one of those Long Fang units up. I'm not wholly sure what your plan for the HQs is- you can't cast powers from inside a tank/fort and you only have one TWC to hang out with.

Rhinos are great, but the LasPlas is a bit fragile for my tastes these days- if anything, I would go with the HB Razor just to save some points.

Hmm. good idea on the Long fangs.

The idea with the HQ is to have the rune priest hang with one of the GH squads, the big one if he  gets blessings (and they'll walk), the smaller one if he doesn't (and he'll shoot out the hatch).

For HB razors, that cuts down my AP2 a lot, but gets me points. Hmm. Maybe swap some RB for some LC Longfangs in the bunker.

Wolf Lord (SS/WC, Wolftooth, Wolftail, Thunderwolf, 2 Fenrisian Wolves)

Rune Priest (ML2)

Grey Hunter 1 (6 GH, MG, Razor with HB)

Grey Hunter 2 (6 GH, MG, Razor with HB)

Grey Hunter 3 (10 GH, 2 Plasma, Mark, Standard, Rhino)

Grey Hunter 4 (8 GH, Flamer, Mark, Standard, Rhino)

Thunderwolf with CCW/SS

Long Fangs x6 (3 ML, 2LC)

Long Fangs x5 (4 ML)

Bastion with Quad

Okay, so...

We played the Maelstrom Mission where you can score each other's secured objective cards and it is long board edge deployment. I loved the interaction between the scoring of cards and discarding. Mauz had a Secure 1 at one point and I had 1 locked down, so he discarded it before my turn came around and I could steal it. Very cool.

My list is above. Mauz had two DP (one with wings), 2 CSM in Rhinos (5 man), 2 30 man cultists, 2 Vindicators, 2 5 man Raptors with Meltas, I believe.

Casting was very interesting. Mauz was unable to get off any WC3, but had no problem with WC1 and 2 throughout the game. I only shut down a couple of powers. He, on the other hand, could not shut down my blessings and easily shut down my maledictions (I got Endurance, Enfeeble and the primaris). He had Summoning on his flying DP with slaanesh stuff and Slaanesh stuff and some Biomancy on his walker. I perils'd once on my RP, but did pretty well.

Endurance on Krakenbeard and the TWC was AWESOME! He regen'd all lost wounds throughout the game and the 4+ FNP was great.

Mauz got a lucky scatter on his vindicator (off of Long Fangs onto Bastion) and popped it with a 6. It is funny that it is easier to pop buildings than vehicles now.

Cultists held up Krakenbeard and crew for a turn (forgot that Wolf Claw was reroll hits for the first charge). The one TWC and KB split after that. The TWC ate a whole squad of cultists with Sweeping Advance and KB punched the DP for like 4 phases (finally taking him down). The 3+ to hit, 3+ to wound was great. He had the same, but I had a 3++/4+ FNP and he only had a 5++.

Vehicles seemed a lot harder to just pop. We pretty much hull pointed them all out at one point or another except for rare melta pops.

Either way, I was very happy with 7th. It was a blast. We ended up at something like 6 or 8 to 16 (and I got 4 on the last turn due to reallllly lucky pulls both for him and I, so I fulfilled my three and stole one or two of his). It made the game feel more back and forth and up in the air throughout.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Although really dependent on if/when/how the SW get an update, I was just noodling a SW/IG list idea.

Basically, armor overload with:

- SW: tons of GH in Rhinos, maybe a FSR with Magos and LF

- IG: Pask in Extermi (Get to use my old SW Exterminator!), Manticore, Priests for the GH squads for Fearless and Hymns.

Still noodling, but something to think about.

Yeah, I can't wait to get my cards because I imagine they will make it even more awesome (we were rolling and looking up).

I asked a LGS to order them for me, but I'm still waiting. Which is annoying since I was at GG last night and could have bought them right off the shelf. :(

Okay, so over the last week or two, I have picked up a LOT of guard vehicles.

629427_sm-.JPG

More pics here:

http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-20774-41535_Ig%20Sale.html

That's 3 Chimeras, 1 LR with Vind, 2 LR Exterminators, 2 LRBT, 2 Converted Hellhounds with Chimera Tracks/LR Bodies and Turrets, 1 Old Hellhound, 1 New Hellhound, 1 converted manticore, 1 converted LR Vanq (not shown).

My current thoughts on the new lot:

3 Chimeras - Sell. I've got two painted up for my guard already and I've never been a big mech infantry guy.

LR Demo - Keep. It has plasma sponsons and I'm thinking of converting it to a Executioner.

2 LR Exterminators - Keep one for Paskterminator and one for either Ext or conversion

2 LRBT - Keep and convert or leave stock

2 Converted Hellhounds - Torn on this. I don't think I'll ever use hellhounds, but the conversion is reaaaally cool. Thoughts on what I could use them as?

1 old hellhound - Sell

1 New Hellhound - Sell. Although it does have the melta cannon.

1 Converted Manticore - I have a manticore already painted but this is magnetized and would make a great hydra conversion, I think.

1 Converted Vanquisher - Probably sell. I guess I could keep and convert.

As an aside, my existing IG is something like

60 or so Tallarn with Heavies and Specials

60-80 Redemptionists with heavies and specials

20-30 Leonidans (Catachans with Spartan heads, shields, spears) with specials and heavies

2 Chimeras

LR Demolisher

Manticore

Tons of characters/inquisitors/priests/etc.

Vendetta

So from a future-proofing, good list and general standpoint, thoughts on the new stuff (keep/sell/convert/etc)? My Guard have traditionally been an allies force, but with the addition of all this armor, that may change.

Also, I may be getting a basilisk, another LRBT and another chimera soon along with a bunch of infantry. Good times.

2 Converted Hellhounds - Torn on this. I don't think I'll ever use hellhounds, but the conversion is reaaaally cool. Thoughts on what I could use them as?

I think you should use them as Hellhounds!

When those grubby enemy troops are getting all "Objective Secured" on real estate that should rightfully belong to you, the Hellhound has what you need to evict them. I know Leman Russes have gotten cheaper, but those tank gunners are mere mortals that often miss, whereas the Inferno Cannon is BS11. It absolutely cannot miss, and you can even place it sideways for maximum carnage. Hellhounds are fast, so you can use them to take objectives yourself. They don't even compete with Vendettas for Fast Attack slots, since you can ally with yourself and get six (or nine) slots. Further, the Hellhound miniature can be converted into a completely WYSIWYG Devil Dog or Bane Wolf just by swapping one little nozzle. Facing five Imperial Knights? Now your Hellhounds are packing Melta Cannons.

(Full disclosure: I liked Hellhounds even when they were normal speed and so fragile that bolters could penetrate their sides. I only traded mine (the not-cooly-converted ones) to Pretre because I am replacing them with different models.)