Everquest 2....no, surely you are joking...

Actually, I'm not. Surprisingly so. A friend of mine basically asked me to try it out again. And I did. And so far...its fun. Now just for some quick....well maybe not quick...but for some backstory, I was a big MMO player 20 some years ago (jesus that sounds bad). I tried out Ultima Online when it released...but didn't like it. I think I still have the cloth map though. Then I got into EQ beta and wow...that was a blast. I think played for quite a while after it came out officially and then went on to Dark Age of Camelot, Warhammer Online, Star Wars Galaxies, dipped my toe in WoW, but was not impressed and didn't see what the hype was about. I even tried out EQ2 way back when, but after sinking so much time and energy into EQ..didn't see a reason to jump over. Eventually moved on to D&D Online and then Neverwinter...but then fell out of MMOs.

Well the game is still going and it has a free to play model. So I installed it and gave it a go. I had forgotten the old style of MMO gameplay and why I had liked it so much.  There is so much to actually explore...and reasons to be cautious...and fun things to discover and then grind though...okay, so the grinding isn't great...but not as bad as it used to be. Plus there is odd satisfaction in crafting too. Anyways, the free version lets you have two classes and so far I've only hit level 20 in about a week of play....but it goes up to 80+?? 

And of course, the best time is actually playing with my friend who is across the country and otherwise don't get to spend time with. 

Yeah, the graphics are way dated, but the upside is that you don't need a powerhouse pc to run it. I think they have also sped up xp gain and the like and made corpse runs a thing of the past...now if you die, your gear gets damaged and you can just pay coins to fix. Not bad at all. Nothing like running around eastern Karana trying to find my corpse and dodge monsters the whole time. Oh, and mobs actually give up the chase after a while, so no trains.

Anyways, just thought I'd share. 

• Like 1