Deathwing Land Raiders

How durable are these in this edition? It's a LR (av14/14/14) with the venerable rule. If I put a couple of these in a normal list, would it survive against modern weapons, or are my LRs as obsolete this edition as last one?

With the new damage chart and the optional reroll I would say they are much more survivable.

Not sure if you have seen it but now you only get and explodes result on a 7+..6 is now immobilize but will add an additional HP of damage if the target is already immobilized.

I've seen it, but I also know that we have a lot more AV threats than we had in previous editions (D, grav, s9-10 lance weapons, thrown haywire grenades, and so forth).

I think land raiders are far better now than in 6th.... You can always use the death wing assault rules kill all threats and then bring it in from reserves

Well, the odd bit about the DW land raiders in 7th, is that I don't have to put DA in them. I could fill them with Grey Knights, SM centurions, or even imperial guard.

Anyway, looks like I ought to try my high AV armies again, like the ones I was running in 5th.

Was watching a newbie game at Your Friendly local Game Store (stop by, cool store) and the guy running it had a Land Raider show up as neutral party in game between guy playing 2nd game running Tau and two kids running Space Marines. Kid turns his Dreadnought multi-melta, rolls a 6 to pen another nice numern, 5 or 6...one-shot explosion. It was pretty funny. Not normal based on the math, but at least the kid had something to hang his hat on despite getting tabled in 5 turns

Was watching a newbie game at Your Friendly local Game Store (stop by, cool store) and the guy running it had a Land Raider show up as neutral party in game between guy playing 2nd game running Tau and two kids running Space Marines. Kid turns his Dreadnought multi-melta, rolls a 6 to pen another nice numern, 5 or 6...one-shot explosion. It was pretty funny. Not normal based on the math, but at least the kid had something to hang his hat on despite getting tabled in 5 turns

That's pretty normal for land raiders of any edition. Melta is a huge weak point. AP1 is especially nasty, as it makes the average roll on vehicle pen go from 6s to 4s. Not exactly durable against melta.

The venerable rule doesn't really help here. It does help a bit, but I don't think it helps enough against such low AP, reliably penning weapons. If FW is allowed in your circle, they've got a LR variant with that cermanite armor.

Only real solutions I've found are to keep out of melta range and to have good cover/invulnerable saves on the LR.

Melta now only has a 1/3 chance of exploding the thing. Forcing a re-roll on that is pretty good.

Ah, right, thanks. Keep forgetting that the table goes to 7+ now. Hmmm....might be worth trying these out again.