Stupidity (the rule, not the GW tendancy) in The Old World - a question

OK, I played Warrior of Chaos back in the day and so I am starting there for comfort and warm fuzzies.  I'm looking at the Gaze of the Gods special rule and the only downside of this is the Damned by Chaos result which gives permanent Stupidity.  As I recall, Stupidity used to be able to stumble into a unit and count as a charge.  I'm not seeing that anywhere in the new rules...  The Stupidity rule itself on p. 178 specifically states that the unit "Cannot march or declare a charge" which implies that it should be subject to the 1" rule.  I mean, getting Stupidity and failing leadership on a Chaos Champion should be really rare which means it will happen 3 times in my first demo game so I figure I should check...  Am I missing something somewhere?

50 minutes ago, Duckman said:

OK, I played Warrior of Chaos back in the day and so I am starting there for comfort and warm fuzzies.  I'm looking at the Gaze of the Gods special rule and the only downside of this is the Damned by Chaos result which gives permanent Stupidity.  As I recall, Stupidity used to be able to stumble into a unit and count as a charge.  I'm not seeing that anywhere in the new rules...  The Stupidity rule itself on p. 178 specifically states that the unit "Cannot march or declare a charge" which implies that it should be subject to the 1" rule.  I mean, getting Stupidity and failing leadership on a Chaos Champion should be really rare which means it will happen 3 times in my first demo game so I figure I should check...  Am I missing something somewhere?

Check pg 131, Accidental contact. I just woke up and my brain is not working yet, maybe the answer is there. I don't see anything where you can accidentally engage a unit in combat like earlier editions. You might just stop 1" from a unit if you movement would put you closer. But this is just my guess.

Yeah, that is my reading.  I think that section is mainly aimed at shuffling around during messy multi-unit combats but even if you apply it to a Stupid shambler the only way you get into combat is if you hit the target in the front arc and they decide to engage you.  That seems less likely than even being stupid and missing your leadership test.

• Like 1

Yep, it sounds to me that if a unit suffering stupidity accidentally makes contact with another unit's front arc, the other player can choose to either A, commit to the combat (neither side counts as having charged) or B, give ground until there is an inch separating them from the unit suffering from stupidity. If the contact is to the flank or rear, or if the contacted unit is already in a fight, the contacted unit (and whoever they're fighting) must be nudged an inch away from the unit with stupidity.

It sounds like there is no instance where a unit who has failed their leadership test for stupidity would ever count as having charged.

• Like 1