GG cup last minute scramble...

Learned of and registered for the GG cup in the last 4 hours. Difficulty getting clear understanding of the format. I think I'm forced into single detachment CAD until I get a clear answer. Given painting requirements, I'm bringing my Exorcists SM, and likely AV14 spam, as I've got more land raiders painted than anything....

Work in progress.

Hmmm... Or, I could ditch the fully painted army approach, and bring an unpainted army. I lose prize support, but would probably have much more fun. I could bring the eldar, then. Not actually required to have a painted army, just required if I want prizes.

Stupid, I think, but I don't really have time to debate that now.

Hmmm...

Hmmm...okay, got some responses regarding my format issues. So, pure marines, plus, likely, a fortress of redemption (only fortification that meets the painting requirements and it isn't finished), or marines and eldar, but no prize support. Tough.

Okay, game is a tourney, so going with a winning army is probably decent call. Painting requirements make it tough, but not impossible.

Exorcists SM (Using imperial fists Chapter tactics as per rules regarding chapters with unknown foundings)

HQ undecided, probably a psyker and another, like a chaplain

Elites Probably assault centurions and something, likely try to get dedicated land raiders, which will aid in making the fortifications last longer.

Troops Tactical squads, maybe sounds. Not sure how many viable units of scounts I have fully painted since my Inq stormtroopers stopped being "scouts."

Fast Not sure, always been light in this area.

Heavy Devastators, lots of them. Spamming the slot for cheesy use with:

Fortification Fortress of Redemption 390pts

Tower (Void Shield)

Las Bunker (Void Shield)

Missile Bunker (Krakstorm, Void Shield)

Catwalk (4x Heavy Bolters, Void Shield)

Total target: 1850pts

Very cheesy, debatably viable, but here:

Exorcists (Imperial Fists)

HQ

Chapter Master (CCW+BP)

Chapter Master (CCW+BP)

Elites

None

Troops

tactical Squad (10, Sarge with CCW+BP)

Fast

Assault Squad (10, PP, Flamer, Vet Sarge W/Fist+PP)

Heavy

Devastators (10, 4x Lascannons, Sarge w/BP+CCW)

Devastators (10, 1x plasma cannon, Sarge w/BP+CCW)

Devastators (10, 1x Plasma Cannon, Sarge w/BP+CCW)

Fortification Fortress of Redemption 400pts

Tower (Void Shield, Remote Fire)

Las Bunker (Void Shield)

Total: 1850pts

The Fully painted requirement really kills me. Lots of bolter marines, not so many painted models with special or heavy weapons. Most of the vehicles are lacking in completeness, or are missing key components that prevent it from being completely WYSIWYG - plus most of my vehicles have rather heavy conversions and I really don't have a printer to give copies of what each model is to each opponent.

Anyway, it's 72 marines, 30 of which have tank hunters, and all of which re-roll 1s with bolt weapons (including the catwalk's heavy bolters) and 4x void shielded AV14 buildings. The Warlord is likely the Assault Veteran Sarge. Entire army is likely screwed against flyers and melee armies, though I will have some fun with tank hunting krak grenade throwing action.... Also the chapter masters gain tank hunters if added to the devastator units, so some nasty orbital fun there.

Like I said, debate-ably viable. Lots you can do with a giant terrain piece that really blocks LOS, lots that can be done against it. Unclear based on the listed tournament format if the fortress replaces existing terrain, is placed on top of, or cannot be placed on predetermined boards. Given that it isn't in the tournament rules, cannot be placed would be rather unreasonable.

Thoughts?

Going to have to go with this, I guess. A very iffy list. Still, not a ton of complicated rules to remember, very simple in that respect. Should be easy to move on the table and such. Need to write up 4 lists of this, get a few objective markers, make sure my 40k gear is ready to go, then get the few hours of sleep before I wake up early to go to guardian...I hope I'm awake for this...

Exorcists (Imperial Fists)

HQ

Lysander 230

Librarian (Jump Pack, Storm Bolter, Force Maul, Level 2 Psyker) 110

Elites

None

Troops

Scout Squad (10, Cloaks, Missile w/Flakk, Sarge with Combi-melta) 165

tactical Squad (10, Missile w/Flakk, Sarge with CCW+BP) 165

tactical Squad (10, Missile w/Flakk, Sarge with CCW+BP) 165

Fast

Assault Squad (5) 85

Heavy

Devastators (10, 2x Lascannons, 1x Multi Melta, Sarge w/BP+CCW) 190

Devastators (10, 2x Lascannons, 1x Multi Melta, Sarge w/BP+CCW) 190

Devastators (10, 2x Heavy Bolter, Sarge w/BP+CCW) 160

Fortification Fortress of Redemption 390pts

Tower (Void Shield)

Las Bunker (Void Shield)

Total: 1850pts

Scouts aren't painted, Going to try to get that done in the next hour.... Assembled, just not painted.

I hate to use a non-Exorcists Special character, but at present, given that I can't find my standard bearer, I needed a solution to morale in my fortress and I wanted a character that can serve as a bit more melee threatening than in the first list. He'll be the warlord. Model is just a SS/TH terminator.

Added some flakk missiles to make my AA issue a bit more impressive. Still very weak.

Devs got more varied heavy weapons.

Jump pack Libby and minor assault squad allows some minor psychic defenses. Should be useful. I'll be going Daemonology (Santic) for theme and for the "joy" of seeing if I can pop my own character...JP Libby is just a GK interceptor (I made mine with jump packs). Gotta paint the libby too.

Okay, primed scouts. Lucky that the red primer is also my main color.

@Pretre: I'm really fine, now anyway, just a scramble. Half the issue is organization of the current models, other half is leaving too many projects half finished.

The other main issue is that I just made a point to switch from using the DA codex to using the SM codex. One issue, in example, is that I cannot find any terminators with power swords, which aren't an issue in the DA codex, but I really need in C:SM.

My chaos would need pictures, and I just can't get that done in time.

It wasn't a big deal, just made me feel bad for worrying when it wasn't needed.

Of my opponents, I faced "Derek" who had lots of proxy/non-WYSIWYG Dark Eldar. Apparently, it was only his 3rd game with DE. The game was fine and the opponent too.

Second game was against SW+BA and a player that was prone to rules debating. It very seemed that he was prone to only playing by the rules his opponent remembered. Mind you, I was pretty tired at this point, I'm not sure if my perceptions were jaded through lack of sleep. After turn 1, we got back on track and had a pretty decent game. His army was well painting (aside from SW paint theme...) and WYSIWYG. He had a very nasty army.

Third game was against Shaylyn (Spelling?) who was a very fluff driven GK player. Much of her army was unpainted, and many were not even on bases. That said, this was easily the most fun game, as neither of us cared much about winning. This player did win a prize for achievements.

I will note that beyond just being very, very tired though all of this, I was also rolling below average for all three games. Case and point, lysander took 9 saves in the 3 games, he failed 8 of them....not all were invulnerable saves.

I did have fun, so don't disregard my criticism as dissatisfaction. I enjoyed myself.

I wouldn't have even mentioned the painting, WYSIWYG, or assembly, but I note it as a player that scrabbled to create a sub-par army to meet the requirements. In the future, it would be nice if the event's posted rules reflected the actually enforced rules. In hindsight, I should have brought my favorite models, including ones in more unfinished conditions, as it may have helped.

Though again, me being very tired was a huge factor. I think I did pretty well considering I had less than 24 hours to prepare and complete the event...